A television show had two couples arguing at the dinner table. And one says: This/t

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

A television show had two couples arguing at the dinner table. And one says:

This/that
is all you know how to do, use your money against me when we have a fight.

Are both okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends. If one of them is actually in the process of using money against the other person during a fight, then "This" would work because it would refer to a present activity/situation. If the person was simply making a point about something the other person sometimes does, then "That" would be better.

B

B45

She's not using the money physically, they're just quarreling about it, and she's saying that she's tired of being the breadwinner of the household in their relationship and he's gotta start making more for the sake of their relationship. And it's getting realer every second they're sitting there.

This or that would be better?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She's not using the money physically, they're just quarreling about it, and she's saying that she's tired of being the breadwinner of the household in their relationship and he's [STRIKE]gotta[/STRIKE] got to start making more for the sake of their relationship. And it's getting [STRIKE]realer[/STRIKE] more real every second they're sitting there.

Would "this" or "that"[STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] be better?

I would use "this" in that situation.

Note my corrections above in red. You've been on the forum long enough to know that "gotta" isn't a word, and that word order in the interrogative is not the same as in a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.