Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
In the sentence below, I used the article 'a'. I think I'm correct. Am I?
If I use, "the magnanimous Ryan said", is it incorrect?

“Joseph gave a better performance and he deserved to win the tournament,” a magnanimous Ryan said.

Thank you for teaching me!
:-D

A suggests that Ryan was being magnanimous on that occasion, while the would suggest that he was always magnanimous to me.

Is it correct not to use an article before 'magnanimous'?

Is it correct not to use an article before 'magnanimous'?

No. An article is required in that construction. You could re-word the last clause as ​Ryan said, magnanimously.

Unless his nickname was, 'Magnanimous Ryan'.

I'm not sure how to describe the unusual construction in OP's sentence. A shorter version would be something like Joseph did well, a magnanimous Ryan said. The bit I was thinking of is indefinite article + adjective + proper noun. This usage is pretty rare, but I see it from time to time.

I am confused because in this post Tdol told me the article should probably not be used in 'Peter is marrying the pretty Amy', where 'pretty Amy' is similar to 'magnanimous Ryan' in construction.

In my view,the article is optional before pretty Amy.

The difference is that I could use it wrongly when not allowed to use it.

I thought 'could' referred to a possibility instead of being allowed.

And what difference would that make with the grammaticality of a phrase? One that I have said was possible but not one I'd be likely to use- I didn't say it was wrong, I just expressed a preference for one thing in one context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back