Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Describing the pleasant early November sunlight this morning, a colleague said that she liked the luke-warm light, and then started to correct herself, but she couldn't find a suitable expression. She was clear that she wanted to describe the light, not the heat. Those of us in the room understood what she meant, but couldn't come up with exactly what was wanted - weak and pale were not 'warm' enough. Is there an expression for light in English that is an equivalent of luke-warm for heat?

Describing the pleasant early November sunlight this morning, a colleague said that she liked the luke-warm light, and then started to correct herself, but she couldn't find a suitable expression. She was clear that she wanted to describe the light, not the heat. Those of us in the room understood what she meant, but couldn't come up with exactly what was wanted - weak and pale were not 'warm' enough. Is there an expression for light in English that is an equivalent of luke-warm for heat?
It reminds me of the Spanish song, A media luz.
But that's a more sultry half-light. :)

Reactions: 5jj
We considered half-light, but it wasn't light enough.:-?

Can light be "thin"?

Reactions: 5jj
When I lived in Maine, we were so far north that the afternoon sun was making its way through a lot of atmosphere. It glowed. I never felt like it glowed in the early morning, which should have been the same, but in the afternoon, around 3 or so, an hour before sunset, there was a golden glow that I just loved. The mornings felt thin, though. As though it were tired from fighting its way through, and hadn't yet gotten its reinforcements that came later with more hours of sunlight behind it.

When I lived in Maine, we were so far north that the afternoon sun was making its way through a lot of atmosphere. It glowed. I never felt like it glowed in the early morning, which should have been the same, but in the afternoon, around 3 or so, an hour before sunset, there was a golden glow that I just loved. The mornings felt thin, though. As though it were tired from fighting its way through, and hadn't yet gotten its reinforcements that came later with more hours of sunlight behind it.
That's a beautiful description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back