about "-ache"

• Thread starter Yourjones
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,679
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yourjones

Hi, languages have expressions so different from one another regarding body feelings. Can we add "-ache" after any body part like earache, fingerache, or this only applies to a specific group of body parts we are all familiar with such as stomachache, headache and so on?

If "-ache" can not follow anything, is there a general expression for pain for example when my finger got caught in the drawer, or my elbow hit on the corner of the table? Thanks a lot!

Hi, languages have expressions so different from one another regarding body feelings. Can we add "-ache" after any body part like earache, fingerache, or this only applies to a specific group of body parts we are all familiar with such as stomachache, headache and so on?

If "-ache" can not follow anything, is there a general expression for pain for example when my finger got caught in the drawer, or my elbow hit on the corner of the table? Thanks a lot!

Oh wouldst that English were so simple! We don't have fingerache or elbowache. We can have a sore finger or sore elbow.

Oh wouldst that English were so simple! We don't have fingerache or elbowache. We can have a sore finger or sore elbow.

Hi thanks for your help! Then what about 'painful'? Is it a word describing what makes us feel that way [1], or a word that follows a body part [2]?

[1]. I bumped my elbow onto/into the corner of the table, and that was painful.
[2]. My elbow is painful because I bumped it onto/into the corner of the table.

Thank you so much!

Hi thanks for your help! Then what about 'painful'? Is it a word describing what makes us feel that way [1], or a word that follows a body part [2]?

[1]. I bumped my elbow onto/into the corner of the table, and that was painful.
[2]. My elbow is painful because I bumped it onto/into the corner of the table.

Thank you so much!

Yes, painful works.

[1]. I bumped my elbow on the corner of the table, and that was painful.
[2]. My elbow hurts because I bumped it on the corner of the table. This is more natural.
`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back