Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Hello everyone.

I'm having a little problems with the english causitive, right now I'm revieving and creating some causitive sentences, but I got scarried when I paste those sentences in google tranlator to spanish (I'm a spanish native speaker) because everything went well with sentences with "repaired" verb but not same story about with "installed, pavimented, tunned up, connected......". Perhaps you could help in these....¿there are a list of P.P. verbs that only can be used when usiing passive causitive?

¿Followig sentences have sense to you?

- I had my running shoes repaired.

no problem... ok.

- I had my television installed.

The meaning is: A technical guy installed my t.v. in my room) ¿This sentence is clear?

- I had washer machine tuned.

The meaning is A washer machine professional came to my home and improve the washer machine functions... not repaired but improve... like a maintenance service but with "get tuned" verb.

- I had my mom's sewing machine oiled.

Ok, no problem... it understands.

- You had his bike restored.

No problem... ok.

- You had the floor renewed.

Meaning is I called a contractor and he lift up all the old floot and put a new one.

- You had her door straightened.

No problem... ok.

- He had internet service connected.

This is the problem.... That I want to say is a IT guy (from internet company) came to my home and get ready mi internet.

- We had atrium swept.

Ok, another problem.... That I want to say is a lot of people probably me and neighbours of mine made a money collect to get the church atrium clear (swep) by a wash company.

- They had the street paved.

Another problem.... That I want to say is a lot of people probably me and neighbours of mine pay a steet maintenance company to pave our street.

- They had garden cleaned.

Please help me.

Hello everyone.

I'm having a [STRIKE]little[/STRIKE] few problems with the English causative. Right now, I'm reviewing and creating some causative sentences, but I got [STRIKE]scarried[/STRIKE] scared (but I don't think that's the word you mean) when I pasted those sentences into Google [STRIKE]tranlator[/STRIKE] Translate to translate/change/convert them to Spanish (I'm a native Spanish [STRIKE]native[/STRIKE] speaker). [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] Everything went well with sentences with the verb "repaired" [STRIKE]verb[/STRIKE] but [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] it wasn't the same story [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] with "installed, [STRIKE]pavimented[/STRIKE] paved, tuned up and connected". Perhaps you could help [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] me with these. [STRIKE]...¿[/STRIKE] Is there [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] a list of P.P. verbs that [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] can be used only when using the passive causative?

Do the following sentences [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] make sense to you?

1. I had my running shoes repaired.
No problem. [STRIKE].. [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK.[/STRIKE]

2. I had my television installed.
The meaning is: A technical guy installed my [STRIKE]t.v.[/STRIKE] TV. [STRIKE]in my room) ¿[/STRIKE] Is this sentence [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] clear?

3. I had my washing machine [STRIKE]tuned[/STRIKE] serviced.
The meaning is "A washing machine professional came to my home and improved the washing machine's [STRIKE]functions[/STRIKE] performance. [STRIKE]...[/STRIKE] It was not repaired but improved, like a maintenance service but with "get tuned" verb.
Unfortunately, we don't say that we have washing machines "tuned".

4. I had my mom's sewing machine oiled.
OK, no problem. I understand it. [STRIKE]understands.[/STRIKE]

5. You had his bike restored.
No problem. [STRIKE]... ok.[/STRIKE]
Sentence 5 is OK as long as you are talking about someone arranging for an old bike to be fixed up so that it is like new.

6. You had the floor renewed.
The meaning is that I called a contractor and he lifted up [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] the old floor and put down a new one.
Your meaning is OK but "renewed" doesn't mean the same. You need "replaced".

7. You had her door straightened.
No problem. [STRIKE]... ok.[/STRIKE]

8. He had his/the internet service connected.
This is the problem. What I want to say is an IT guy (from the internet company) came to [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] his home and [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] got [STRIKE]ready[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]mi[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] his internet connection ready.

9. We had the atrium swept.
OK, here is another problem. What I want to say is a lot of people (probably me and my neighbours) [STRIKE]of mine[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]made a[/STRIKE] collected money [STRIKE]collect[/STRIKE] to get the church atrium cleared (swept) by a [STRIKE]wash[/STRIKE] cleaning company.

10. [STRIKE]They[/STRIKE] We had the street paved.
Here is another problem. What I want to say is a lot of people (probably me and my neighbours) [STRIKE]of mine[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]pay[/STRIKE] paid a street maintenance company to pave our street.

11. They had garden cleaned.
Don't you want to tell us anything about this sentence?

Please help me.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please look carefully at all my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above. There are a few things you must remember if you are going to post regularly on the forum:
1. Capitalise all proper nouns (English, Spanish, Microsoft, Shakespeare, Madrid etc).
2. We do not connect sentences with strings of dots (.....). End a sentence with one full stop.
3. We don't use the "¿" symbol in English.
4. At the beginning of a sentence, write "OK" or "Okay". Anywhere else in a sentence, write "OK" or "okay". Never write "Ok".

I'm not entirely sure what your main problem is. You have clearly grasped how to construct such sentences. Are you asking us if they mean what you think they mean? If so, then, in general, yes. However, for example, "We had the atrium swept" is a grammatical sentence but it does not suggest anything else you included in your explanation.

This was a very long post. Please don't give so many sentences for us to deal with in future. A maximum of 3 is reasonable for us to deal with. I have left all 11 sentences in place because this was your first post. Also note that I have numbered the sentences. Please do that in future - it makes it a lot easier for us to respond.

Don't rely on Google Translate to check your English grammar!

Last edited:
For the above response, I have pleasure in awarding the Moderator of the Month trophy to emsr2d2.

(Let's hope Pablo doesn't quote it if he replies.)

I found a fine emoji of a gold cup but it just comes out as ��.:-(

97.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For the above reponse, I have pleasure in awarding the Moderator of the Month trophy to emsr2d2.

(Let's hope Pablo doesn't quote it if he replies.)

97.gif

I'm glad that you use "emoji" as an English word.
This is for you:):

trophy_1f3c6.png

Thank you, but it's for emsr2d2.

I don't know why it didn't work for me.

For the above response, I have pleasure in awarding the Moderator of the Month trophy to emsr2d2.
97.gif

Yay! Thanks. And it's only the 5th of the month! Fair warning to the other moderators - good luck trying to wrestle that trophy out of my sticky mitts over the next 26 days!

;-)

97.gif

I don't know why it didn't work for me.

It did when you first posted. Your post was nothing but a small gold cup.
Wow! You must have seen that in the very few seconds when I was testing to see if it worked and before I deleted it to look for a bigger cup and post the full sentence – when it didn't.

Yay! Thanks. And it's only the 5th of the month! Fair warning to the other moderators - good luck trying to wrestle that trophy out of my sticky mitts over the next 26 days!

;-)
I forgot to mention that your emoluments will double for the rest of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back