Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : Korean Education Broadcasting System, KSAT Completion, 15-3

To appreciate the long term benefits of industrialization one does not have to accept its cruelties. One can imagine an alternative history of the Industrial Revolution in which modern sensibilities applied earlier and the factories operated without children and with better working conditions for the adults. Today there are doubtless factories in the developing world that could offer as many jobs and still turn a profit while treating their workers more humanely.
Pressure from trade negotiators and consumer protests has measurably improved working conditions in many places, and it is a natural progression as countries get richer and more integrated into the global community.Progress consists not in accepting every change as part of an indivisible package as if we had to make a yes or no decision on whether the Industrial Revolution, or globalization, is a good thing or bad thing, exactly as each has unfolded in every detail. Progress consists of unbundling the features of a social process as much as we can to maximize the human benefits while minimizing the harms.

How are the two underlined parts related to each other?
Does the latter mean that in some aspects, progress has been made, but in other ones, it hasn't been made?
For example, a factory can turn a profit(progress), while abusing its workers(under-progress)?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. You can take the good, and reject the bad.

I don't know. I don't understand the second one.

Does the latter mean that in some areas progress has been made, while in other ones it hasn't?

Maybe.

For example, a company can turn s profit (progress) while abusing its employees (counter-progress).

Well, temporarily, yes. But in the long term that is, I think, unworkable.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source : Korean Education Broadcasting System, KSAT Completion, 15-3

To appreciate the long term benefits of industrialization one does not have to accept its cruelties. One canimagine an alternative history of the Industrial Revolutionin which modern sensibilities applied earlier and thefactories operated without children and with better workingconditions for the adults. Today there are doubtlessfactories in the developing world that could offer as manyjobs and still turn a profit while treating their workersmore humanely.
Pressure from trade negotiators and consumer protests has measurably improved working conditions in manyplaces, and it is a natural progression as countries getricher and more integrated into the global community.Progress consists not in accepting every change as partof an indivisible package as if we had to make a yes or no decision on whether the Industrial Revolution, or globalization, is a good thing or bad thing, exactly as each hasunfolded in every detail. Progress consists of unbundlingthe features of a social process as much as we can tomaximize the human benefits while minimizing the harms.

Does the latter mean that in some aspects, progress has been made, but in other ones, it hasn't been made?

It means that you can appreciate the blessings of progress without accepting its curses.

For example, a factory can turn a profit(progress), while abusing its workers(under-progress)?

It means that the factory doesn't have to abuse its workers. We can demand that factories treat workers well.
K - You have a lot of words run together. Clean these things up before posting them!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
keannu, it must be a while since you pasted text into the forum - I don't remember a whole post of yours with loads of missing spaces for a long time. I've marked up in post #1 every missing space. You can edit the post within 24 hours of posting it so you have about 15 more hours to do it. Add the spaces, change the text back to black and hit Save.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
keannu, it must be a while since you pasted text into the forum - I don't remember a whole post of yours with loads of missing spaces for a long time. I've marked up in post #1 every missing space. You can edit the post within 24 hours of posting it so you have about 15 more hours to do it. Add the spaces, change the text back to black and hit Save.

Sorry for the typos, when a passage is too long, I can't find typos generated while copying.
I'll be more careful since next time.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you can instal (BE spelling) a spell-check, it will highlight them for you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You still need to change the text back to black in post 1.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry for the typos. When a passage is too long, I can't find typos generated while copying.
Sure you can. We saw them right away.

A simple rule: If it's too long for you to read, it's too long for us to read.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I think the idea is that these are complex issues and we shouldn't make such binary views of them as good/bad. The phrasing is a bit odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.