Advanced English Conversations: Speak English Like a Native....

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Please have a look at this book. Is it worth learning dialogues from it? Would you as English speakers use such dialogues for real-life situations. Will I sound too formal and awkward? Below is a couple of such conversations for the ease of your reference.

Advanced English Conversations: Speak English Like a Native: More than 1000 common phrases and idioms presented through day-to-day handy dialogues Paperback – October 30, 2019 by Robert Allans (and other authors).​

Mike : What’s wrong with you these days John? You have always kept your nose clean!
John : It’s all a hoax . I must admit that I’ve swallowed the bait .
Mike : How come !
John : Unfortunately; I barked up the wrong tree when I counted on Jessie. It turned out that she had also been planning to get rid of me.
Mike : Oh; I don’t believe it. That’s pathetic .

Eric : It’s such a shame we are so broke . Everyone is splurging out there; I feel like two cents.
Carl : Tomorrow is our pay day and we’re going to be loaded . Aren’t we? Eric : What we earn is just a drop in the ocean compared to Steven.
Carl : That guy is born with a golden spoon in his mouth . It’s time you came down to earth and learned how to live within your means.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The book is trying to teach colloquialisms and idioms which are commonly used in spoken AmE. It may be a useful source if that is the variety of English you want to learn. Here at UE we tend to avoid such idioms and focus on more standard English that can be used in all contexts and circumstances.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please have a look at a couple of excerpts from this book. Is it worth learning dialogues from it? Would you as English speakers use such dialogues for real-life situations. Will I sound too formal and awkward? Below is are a couple of such conversations for the ease of your reference.

Advanced English Conversations: Speak English Like a Native: More than 1000 common phrases and idioms presented through day-to-day handy dialogues Paperback – October 30, 2019 by Robert Allans (and other authors).​

Mike: What’s wrong with you these days, John? You have always kept your nose clean!
John: It’s all a hoax. I must admit that I’ve swallowed the bait.
Mike: How come?
John: Unfortunately, I barked up the wrong tree when I counted on Jessie. It turned out that she had also been planning to get rid of me.
Mike: Oh, I don’t believe it. That’s pathetic.

Eric: It’s such a shame we are so broke. Everyone is splurging out there; I feel like two cents.
Carl: Tomorrow is our pay day and we’re going to be loaded, aren’t we?
Eric: What we earn is just a drop in the ocean compared to Steven.
Carl: That guy is was born with a golden silver spoon in his mouth. It’s time you came down to earth and learned how to live within your means.
Please note my corrections above. I don't know if you copied the texts exactly. If you did, there were multiple errors in the book. If you didn't copy them exactly, you made multiple errors yourself. Remember to follow these rules of written English at all times:
- Never put a space before a colon.
- Put just one space after a full stop.
- Never put a space before a question mark.

You twice used a semi-colon where there should have been a comma.

There were two spaces between almost every word. I've deleted every extraneous space above.