English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi everyone

I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section. I'd like some advice on how to teach IELTS online to young adults (the typical IELTS student, obviously). I've spent most of my teaching career so far teaching young children but I'm trying to expand and teach online. I did my CELTA years ago and have also recently done the Cambridge Online IELTS course, but it didn't provide a lot of practical info on how to help students improve and it didn't offer much in terms of activity ideas (especially activities for 1-1 tuition).

Can anyone suggest some good sites or blogs with useful, detailed lesson plans and tried and tested activities, ideally for 1-1 online classes? Naturally I've done a lot of googling already, but since I'm new to this type of teaching, I'm not exactly an expert at what works well and what doesn't. So I thought I'd ask here for advice.

Looking forward to hearing any bits of advice!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have you taught either one-to-one or IELTS before?

Teaching IELTS one-to-one shouldn't be significantly different from teaching it face-to-face. Just give the learner lots of input and practice as you would normally.

It's always a good idea with any one-to-one learner to do a close needs analysis, followed by diagnostic testing. That should give you an idea of what needs to be worked on specifically.

Reactions: 5jj

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are you willing to pay? A lot of the IELTS sites are for subscribers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveS86

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Taiwan
Have you taught either one-to-one or IELTS before?

Teaching IELTS one-to-one shouldn't be significantly different from teaching it face-to-face. Just give the learner lots of input and practice as you would normally.

It's always a good idea with any one-to-one learner to do a close needs analysis, followed by diagnostic testing. That should give you an idea of what needs to be worked on specifically.
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry for the delay, I didn't expect a reply so quickly. I've taught quite a few one-to-one online classes, but that has always been specific to whatever the student wanted to learn English for, whether it was about improving their business English, or to just improve their general confidence in having conversations. Occasionally I've had students ask me to help them with their IELTS preparation and I've accepted, but warned them that I don't have a lot of experience or credentials in IELTS teaching.

I've familiarized myself with the exam and read up quite a bit but was just wondering if there's an expected, ideal way to teach the different parts of the test. Most of the activities I'm come across for it online seem to be intended for group IELTS classes.

But yes, your suggestions make sense. The most important thing, I guess, is analyzing them in the first class and then basing future lessons from there.

DaveS86

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Taiwan
Are you willing to pa- a lot of the IELTS sites are for subscribers.
If these sites are full of lots of activity ideas then yeah I'm willing to pay, if it's reasonably priced.

DaveS86

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Taiwan
Are you willing to pa- a lot of the IELTS sites are for subscribers.
Hey, sorry to bug you again for advice, do you have any suggestions on which paid sites have the best resources? What do you think of Ellii?

DominicAnderson

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you managed to find help?

Status
Not open for further replies.