English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
Here is a sentence from Dwight Swaine's manual Creating Characters

She was a writer of what in the trade were known as "docs" -pseudo-sociological paperbacks that pretended to be scholarly and factual and that bore titles like
Aggression, Repression and Rape, Secretaries and Sex, and The Lesbian Housewife-that kind of thing.

I think it would be more correct to write 'of what in the trade was known as "docs".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It wouldn't.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Docs" (probably derived from something like "documentaries") is plural, so you need the plural verb "were".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it would be more correct to write 'of what in the trade was known as "docs".

NOT A TEACHER

When I read your post, I was immediately reminded of a book that some people consider to be overly strict regarding the rules.

The author claims that the following sentences are correct: "What to watch for is such things as dry, sandy layers of hardpan"; "What Jane is clutching to her bosom is four kittens"; "What they saw was the white sand cliffs"; and "What these gentlemen need is some new moral values."

According to him, the problem is that "what" can mean "that which" or "those which."

Wilson Follett, Modern American English (1980 edition), page 233.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We're talking about docs, not the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is a sentence from Dwight Swaine's manual Creating Characters

She was a writer of what in the trade were known as "docs" -pseudo-sociological paperbacks that pretended to be scholarly and factual and that bore titles like
Aggression, Repression and Rape, Secretaries and Sex, and The Lesbian Housewife-that kind of thing.

To me, "what in the trade were known as 'docs'" is more natural, by far, than "what in the trade was known as 'docs'."

From a transformational perspective, the plural makes a good deal of sense:

1. Within the "what"-clause, "what" functions as a noun phrase (NP) that is the subject of "were known as 'docs.'"

2. "NP were known as 'docs'" is in the passive voice.

3. The corresponding active-voice construction is "[subject] knew NP as 'docs'"; for example, "People knew NP as 'docs.'"

4. We would NOT use a singular NP in "People in the trade knew NP as 'docs'": e.g., *"[strike]People in the trade knew it as 'docs.'[/strike]"

Compare: *[strike]People in the trade knew him as managers.[/strike]

Therefore,

5. The direct-object NP is plural in that construction, and remains plural when promoted to subject in the passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.