Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's entirely possible that if we saw it and heard the intonation, as well as his other speech patterns, I may change my mind, or you might change yours. It's really moot unless we can see/hear the person talking.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One lesson would be that, if you want to be understood internationally, you should speak standard English.
If you want to cause disagreements among your listeners as to whether you did anything, say "I didn't do nothing" or "I ain't done nothing" etc.

And another is that a lot of misunderstandings would be avoided if people said 'as if' or 'as though' when that's what they mean by 'like';-) (Note my use of 'when'; I'm not suggesting that 'like' always means that, although a troll will probably suggest I said it did.)

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And another is that a lot of misunderstandings would be avoided if people said 'as if' or 'as though' when that's what they mean by 'like';-) (Note my use of 'when'; I'm not suggesting that 'like' always means that, although a troll will probably suggest I said it did.)

b
Do you think "Ain't as if I had nowhere to go" solves the ambiguity?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you think "Ain't as if I had nowhere to go" solves the ambiguity?
I doubt it. The use of ain't suggests either a lack of education or a jocular approach. Either of these would allow Barb's interpretation.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A learner/

Hi

One guy says that he doesn't go to the library, he doesn't watch TV, doesn't go to the cinema. He says: I prefer to stay at home. Ain't like I got nowhere to go.

Does it mean: It doesn't mean I've got nowhere to go OR just the opposite: Looks like I've got nowhere to go.

In standard American English it would be: It isn't like I have nowhere to go.

In the regional dialect used where I live (southeastern United States) the meaning of this statement is clear to me.

"I do have places to go, but I prefer to stay home."

Now I am confused with the starter's saying that the guy doesn't watch TV, as well.
Do people watch TV outside their homes?
No.
Maybe very poor ones.
If so, I, at length, understand the sentence this way

The things are not like I've got nowhere to go. (As mykwyner explained)

But it seems to me that the things are much worse.
The miserable wretch is trying to take the visitor in by reason of his shame about his situation. He is lying to himself as well actually.:-( He could be in a terrible condition.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's definite ambiguity there for me, though I am a BrE speaker, so less familiar with American regional forms, but I think I favour mykwyner's interpretation. Maybe it would be clearer if the person had said It ain't like I ain't got nowhere to go. ;-)

I've put a poll up asking the question: https://www.usingenglish.com/poll/893.html

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.