[Grammar] All of the documents will have been dealt with by Nancy at home by tomorrow afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi teachers!
Please help me with the three following sentences into passive voice. I was taught to put by-agent at the end of the sentence which must precede Time adverbs. Is sentence 2 the only correct one?

1) All of the documents will have been dealt with by Nancy at home by tomorrow afternoon.
2) All of the documents will have been dealt with at home by Nancy by tomorrow afternoon.
3) All of the documents will have been dealt with at home by tomorrow afternoon by Nancy.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The most natural for me is #1. In reality, all three work and express the same thing. The only thing that's not clear is whose home you're talking about. It can't be taken as read that it's Nancy's home.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It could be more naturally expressed as:

Nancy will deal with all the documents from home by tomorrow afternoon.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree to some extent with Piscean that using three preposition phrases consecutively makes the sentence a bit clunky. The order of these three elements, as with elements in any other sentence, depends to a large extent on what you want to focus on, and what you mean. One thing that's not clear in your sentence, as emsr2d2 gets at, is what you mean by at home. Whether or not you're talking about Nancy's home would be a factor in choosing how to construct a sentence.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's unclear what you mean by "dealt with" there. It is also unclear why you want those sentences in the passive voice. Perhaps:

Nancy will take those documents home with her, review them and make the necessary changes.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I mean it's Nancy's home.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It's unclear what you mean by "dealt with" there. It is also unclear why you want those sentences in the passive voice. Perhaps:

Nancy will take those documents home with her, review them and make the necessary changes.

I want those sentences in the passive voice because I would like to know if which one is grammatically correct and if they are correct, there are any differences between them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I want to write those sentences in the passive voice because I would like to know [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] which one is grammatically correct and, if they are all correct, if there are any differences between them.

Please note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.