Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
(Thornton Wilder, Our Town, Act I)
. . .
Mrs. Gibbs: Here, give me some more of those beans. Myrtle, did one of those secondhand-furniture men from Boston come to see you last Friday?
Mrs. Webb: No-o
Mrs. Gibb: Well, he called on me. First I thought he was a patient wantin' to see Dr. Gibbs. 'N he wormed his way into my parlor, and, Myrtle Webb, he offered me three hundred and fifty dollars for Grandmother Wentworth's highboy, as I'm sitting here!
Mrs. Webb: Why, Julia Gibbs!
Mrs. Gibbs: He did! That old thing!....
Mrs. Webb: Well, You're going to take it, aren't you?
Mrs. Gibbs: I don't know.
. . .
Well, if I could get the Doctor to take the money and go away someplace on a real trip, I'd sell it like that. - Y'know, Myrtle, it's been the dream of my life to see Paris, France. - Oh, I don't know. It sounds crazy, I suppose, but for years I've been promising myself that if we ever had a chance -
. . .
Mrs. Webb: Well, if that secondhand man's really serious about buyin' it, Julia, you sell it. And than you'll get to see Paris , all right. Just keep droppin' hints from time to time - that's how I got to see the Atlantic Ocean, y'know.
. . .
---------
I don't really understand all right in this context. What do you take all right to mean there?

Last edited:
'All right' often serves to reinforce an assertion, in this case you'll get to see Paris.

'All right' often serves to reinforce an assertion, in this case you'll get to see Paris.
Thank you; but which words would you use there to express assertion?

I told you in post #2.

I put my question wrong. I have corrected it, please have a look at #3 once again. Which synonymic words would you use to intensify you'll get to see Paris? In this context all right says nothing to me, actually.

Last edited:
I put my question wrong. I have corrected it, please have a look at #3 once again
And I have reverted it to the original. Changing posts after they have received a resopnse can make the response seem silly.

Your changed post can now stand as a new question:

. Which synonymic words would you use to intensify you'll get to see Paris? In this context all right says nothing to me, actually.

Which synonymic words would you use instead of all right to intensify you'll get to see Paris? In this context all right doesn't mean anything to me actually.

Last edited:
The best words I can come up with are certainly/undoubtedly.

Be aware that this doesn't mean you can simply replace the word all right with certainly/undoubtedly in the context. I'm just offering approximate synonyms to help you with the meaning.

Mrs. Webb: Well, if that secondhand man's really serious about buyin' it, Julia, you sell it. And than you'll get to see Paris , all right. Just keep droppin' hints from time to time - that's how I got to see the Atlantic Ocean, y'know.
shootingstar, use a synonym for "all right" and place it after "you'll". My choice of synonym is "definitely". And than you'll definitely get to see Paris.

(Cross posted with jutfrank)

I understand now - great help(y)

(Thornton Wilder, Our Town, Act I)

Mrs. Webb: Well, if that secondhand man's really serious about buyin' it, Julia, you sell it. And than you'll get to see Paris , all right.
I'd just like to check if it definitely says "than" in the original, rather than "then". It could be their typo, it could be your typo, or it could be that the word "then" is pronounced "than" in that particular accent.

I'd just like to check if it definitely says "than" in the original, rather than "then". It could be their typo, it could be your typo, or it could be that the word "then" is pronounced "than" in that particular accent.
It's my typo. Sorry. I've corrected it in the OP.

You could also read it as "And then you'll get to see Paris. Oh yes you will."

(y) I hope you are enjoying the works of Thornton Wilder. Will you be studying other playwrights?
Well, I don't know. In fact, I like this play very much and, maybe, I'll study another book or play by Thornton Wilder, e.g. The Skin of Our Teeth or Heaven's My Destination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back