[General] all these sorts/kinds of things/stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Videos and gymwear are different kinds of things. They are not in the same category.

You got it right in post #5.
Sorry to ask the same question again. But, do we use both 'those kinds of things' and 'things like that' for referring only to different kinds of things? For example, shoes and videogames.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you may have misread Tarheel's post #4. He was saying that you shouldn't use those kinds of things to talk about games and gym wear, since they belong to different kinds.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Me too.

I expect Mr. Cent would be appalled that you've forgotten to properly capitalise the name of his song In Da Club.

Mr. Cent!:-D

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I think you may have misread Tarheel's post #4. He was saying that you shouldn't use those kinds of things to talk about games and gym wear, since they belong to different kinds.

Thank you so much for this. So, for similar things we say that kind of thing/those kinds of things. For example:
1) As a child he used to play with girl toys like beads, jewelry and those kinds of things/ that kind of thing.
I wonder if it's possible to 'things like that/stuff like that' here?

And, for different kinds of things we say things like that/ stuff like that. For example:
2) As a child he used to play with bids, barbie dolls, doll houses, guns and things like that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much for this. So, for similar things we say that kind of thing/those kinds of things. For example:
1) As a child he used to play with girl toys like beads, jewelry and those kinds of things/ that kind of thing.
I wonder if it's possible to use 'things like that/stuff like that' here?

Yes. Those things are are in the same category. (Doll houses and toy guns are not, in my opinion, in the same category.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, for similar things we say that kind of thing/those kinds of things.

Although many speakers might naturally use those kinds of things, I wouldn't use it and I'd encourage you not to use it.

For example:1) As a child he used to play with girl toys like beads, jewelry and those kinds of things/ that kind of thing.

Yes, you can say that kind of thing. You're speaking only about one kind, right? So why do you insist on using the plural kinds? Which are these 'kinds' that you're referring to?

Yes, that's fine.

And, for different kinds of things we say things like that/ stuff like that. For example:
2) As a child he used to play with bids, barbie dolls, doll houses, guns and things like that.

I wouldn't encourage you to use either phrase to mean 'for example', which apparently is what you mean to say here.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
For example:1) As a child he used to play with girl toys like beads, jewelry and those kinds of things/ that kind of thing.

Yes, you can say that kind of thing. You're speaking only about one kind, right? So why do you insist on using the plural kinds? Which are these 'kinds' that you're referring to?
I see. So it depends on whether or not the the things mentioned belong to the same category, but not the number of things mentioned.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Yes, that's fine.

Why do we use 'things like that/stuff like that' when talking about both one kind of thing and different kinds of things?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you talking about sentences such as "I like bread and things like that"? "Bread" is singular (uncountable, so obviously singular) and "things" is plural. That's because the sentence could be read as "I like bread and I also like other things that are like bread".

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Are you talking about sentences such as "I like bread and things like that"? "Bread" is singular (uncountable, so obviously singular) and "things" is plural. That's because the sentence could be read as "I like bread and I also like other things that are like bread".
Thank you so much. I'm sorry for replying so late. I've been going through a lot in life. Sometimes I even feel suicidal. Despite everything I'm trying my best to keep on going.

Back to topic. Please let me know if both my examples are correct:
1) As a game and a fitness enthusiast I'd prefer gaming consoles, video games, gym wears and those kinds of things. (since the things mentioned belong to different groups.)

2) As a traveler I like wearing camping pants, shirts, hats and things like that/stuff like that/that kind of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.