Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My broadband internet has been down since last evening. I called the customer care. The customer care representative asked me to wait for few hours and if the issue is not resolved then, he asked me to call back. I said I have exams and I need it done sooner. Following that I said "I am sorry for being a little haste but I have exams coming up so only I need it to be fixed sooner".

What I wanted to convey is that I am sorry for creating urgency for him. I know 'creating urgency' is not a proper term. I just want to use a proper word instead of that.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Haste" is a noun, not an adjective. Try rushed.

However, it's your ISP that should be apologizing, not you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My broadband [strike]internet[/strike] has been down since [STRIKE]last[/STRIKE] yesterday evening no full stop here so I called the customer care helpline. The [STRIKE]customer care[/STRIKE] representative asked me to wait for few hours and to call back if the issue [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was not resolved by then. [STRIKE]he asked me to call back.[/STRIKE]

I [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] told him that I have exams coming up [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] so I need it [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] fixed sooner. Following that, I said "I am sorry for being [STRIKE]a littlehaste[/STRIKE] impatient but I have exams coming up so [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] I need it to be fixed sooner". Why did you tell him exactly the same thing twice?

What I wanted to convey is that I am sorry for [STRIKE]creating urgency[/STRIKE] rushing him [STRIKE]for him[/STRIKE]. I know 'creating urgency' is not [STRIKE]a proper[/STRIKE] the right term. I [STRIKE]just[/STRIKE] want to [STRIKE]use a proper word instead of that[/STRIKE] know how to say it properly.

Note my corrections above.

Like GoesStation, I don't think you should be the one apologising! Having said that, a few hours doesn't seem like that long to wait for a broadband issue to be sorted out. Of course, it feels like too long for the person concerned (you). It once took my ISP four days to reinstate my internet access! However, if you really want to apologise, you can use the version I've given in the quote box.

Please answer my question in blue above. I think you might have misused "Following that". It means, in this context, "After I said that ...".

Last edited:

kumar17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my corrections above.

Please answer my question in blue above. I think you might have misused "Following that". It means, in this context, "After I said that ...".

Thanks for your help. Yes, it is true that a few hours is not that long but in most cases, nothing happens after few hours. There will be another person answering the call and he will give a similar commitment. However, luckily, the internet is back now.

That guy was just repeating the same dialogue, 'give us few hours'. He didn't even attempt to assuage my concern. Therefore, I have to repeat myself again.

May I know why it is wrong to use 'last evening' to mean 'yesterday evening'? Is it unnatural to use the word 'last' to mean previous when there is a specific word for that(yesterday)?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]May I know[/STRIKE] Can you tell me why it is wrong to use 'last evening' to mean 'yesterday evening'? Is it unnatural to use the word 'last' to mean previous when there is a specific word for that ("yesterday")?
Yes, it is.

Note that I corrected two errors regarding spaces. Use one space, and one space only, after sentence-ending punctuation. Always put a space before an opening parenthesis ("bracket" in British English).

Always enclose words you're writing about in quotation marks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We recently discussed the "last evening/yesterday evening" issue in another thread. In BrE, we tend to use "yesterday" with "morning/afternoon/evening" and "last" with "night".

I did it yesterday morning.
I did it yesterday afternoon.
I did it yesterday evening.
I did it last night.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Similarly, you cannot say "today evening" though. It is this evening.
There is no consistency but that is the way it is.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a song that goes:

Last night I didn't get to sleep at all

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about:

I was sorry for pressuring him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That guy was just repeating the same dialogue, 'Give us few hours'. He didn't even attempt to assuage my concern. Therefore, I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had to repeat myself. [STRIKE]again.[/STRIKE]

It wasn't clear in the original that the rep/agent said anything after the first time you told him you had exams coming up and needed your internet reinstated as soon as possible. It simply looked like you were telling us what you said in the form of indirect speech and then, immediately after saying that (by using "Following that"), you said it again, this time reporting it using direct speech.

I assume the conversation went something like this:

Kumar: Hi. My internet's down. Can you get it up and running please?
Rep: Give us a few hours. If it's not working by then, call again.
Kumar: The thing is that I have exams coming up so I need it fixed faster than that.
Rep: Like I said, give us a few hours to fix it.
Kumar: Sorry to pressure you, but I really need it fixed as soon as possible.
Rep: We'll do what we can. Call us back if it's not working in a few hours. Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.