Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi!
This passage is from a text which is highly ambiguous for me. It is originally an Spanish text from 500 years ago, which was translated into English nearly 115 years ago. I have brought it up before in this site, but answers were not satisfactory, mainly because of lack of enough information. Now, I write the text here more completely. It is mentionable that the text is a footnote, so I write the main text first, followed by the footnote. The original Spanish text will be at the end. The sentences written in bold are ambiguous. Of course, the Spanish text is copied from an old book, printed somewhat unreadable and may have some errors.

The main text:
On May Ist, 1598, a fleet of eight ships, under the command of Jacob Cornelisz. van Neck and Wybrand van Warwijck, sailed out of the Texel for the East.

The footnote:
Faria y Sousa, in giving a summary account (not very accurate) of this expedition, says : — " Mauricio/Mauritius was the name or title of the admiral's ship : it appears as if by a fatality, with the first two syllables ever grievous to Catholic ears (let severe censors pardon what they may call frivolous considerations), to be second Mauritanians in those climes, like spoilers of the vineyard of Christ, which the efforts of the Portuguese had planted there." He also somewhat broadly insinuates that the Hollanders took out with them the worship of Bacchus {Asia Portuguesa, tom. Ill, Pt. ll, cap. iii). (Cf. Voyages of John Davis, p. 134.)

The original Spanish text:

Mauricio era el nómbre o titulo de la Capitanía parece que fatalmente con las primeras dos sliabas síem pre pesadas a los católicos
oidos (perdonen los severos Césores délas que llaman ligeras ponderaciones) a ser segúdos Mauritanos en aquellos climas,como cstragadores de la Viña de Christo/quc en ellos plantaron las diligencias Portuguesas.

Thanks very much

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A Hispanophone should be able to help with the cryptic first two syllables phrase. Evidently the syllables mau ri are the same as some kind of Spanish word or phrase which was blasphemous at the time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It sounds like "mori" which is "to die" in Latin and "to die" is "morir" in Spanish. I don't know if that's what it's getting at but the mention of a fatality makes it seem likely to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.