Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Vronsky told by his own brother Sasha:

Sasha: Getting married puts the pack on your back. It leaves your hands free for climbing the ladder. Getting serious about a married woman is like carrying your pack in your arms.
Vronsky: So, they talk about me. I'm leaving, Sasha.
Sasha: An assignation?

What is "An assignation?" Does it mean Sasha asking Vronsky whether Vronsky leaving for an assignation?

Source: Anna Karenina 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the dictionary say "assignation" means? Does it make sense in this context?

You're trying Anna Karenina already? Keep in mind that you're reading an English translation of Russian novel written in the 1870s. Though, it seems you have a 2012 translation (?), so that might make it more easily understandable.

Source is here.

It is a movie not book or novel.

Though the book is long, it's not hard reading. Leo wrote them to be read, and his translators have understood that.

I've run into English learners attempting writers like William Shakespeare and Thomas Pynchon. Good luck! Tolstoy isn't nearly as challenging.

Kingston: Yes, if you haven't looked up the word, do so. It should make sense. If it doesn't, let us know.

Source is here.

It is a movie not book or novel.

Corrections:

1. A novel is a book.
2. Anna Karenina is a novel.

Though the book is long, it's not hard reading. Leo wrote them to be read, and his translators have understood that.

I've run into English learners attempting writers like William Shakespeare and Thomas Pynchon. Good luck! Tolstoy isn't nearly as challenging.

So: Yes, if you haven't looked up assignation, do so. It's an old-fashioned word, but it's a great word.

If the dialog still doesn't make sense, let us know.

And by the way - what was Vronsky's answer? Is he in love or just fooling around?

Is this word common in BrE? Cause I had to look it up. Never seen it used. I thought it was a weird way of saying someone was put on an assignment.

It's used in BrE but usually only in one specific context. I'll give more information once Kingston has shown that he/she has looked the word up in a dictionary to work out what it means in post #1.

Is this word common in BrE? Cause I had to look it up. Never seen it used. I thought it was a weird way of saying someone was put on an assignment.

It's used in the US, but it's old-fashioned - like tryst and rendezvous.

What happens in the dacha stays in the dacha.

"Tryst" and "rendezvous" I know.

It is an assignation not assignment, both aren't same.

why comma is needed before "not"?

Why is a comma needed before "not"?

It's probably not a complete explanation, but in speech there would be a pause where the comma is. (Also, say: "It's assignation, not assignment.")

Last edited:
No, I'm not. In fact, I gave an explanation.

The words "in fact" might be seen as a substitute for something longer (perhaps less polite). They also might be seen as a sort of a "bridge" between one sentence and another. As for your question, yes. I think it is needed there.

It is an assignation not assignment, both aren't same.

I said I looked it up. You can assume that I understood the meaning once I did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back