Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I don't know the name of an insect in English. It is smaller than a fly and it drinks your blood. Then you feel your skin is itchy. What is the name of this insect? (We call them "pa sh è" پشه)

Re: Tarheel

A mosquito.

I moved your post to Ask a Teacher as it is of interest to all students of English.

Yes, mosquito bites itch. (We're not supposed to scratch them, but how can you not?)

They are not a lot smaller than flies.

I agree that the English word you're looking for is 'mosquito', based a Google image search of پشه, but your definition could also include bedbugs, ticks, mites, midges, lice, ticks, sand flies (also known as sand gnats or noseeums)and fleas.

Then of course there are all different kinds (and therefore sizes) of flies that bite humans as well.

I agree that the English word you're looking for is 'mosquito', based a Google image search of پشه, but your definition could also include bedbugs, ticks, mites, midges, lice, ticks, sand flies (also known as sand gnats or noseeums)and fleas.

Then of course there are all different kinds (and therefore sizes) of flies that bite humans as well.

Wow, imagine a nurse who injects you like a tick! Disgusting! Nurses are like mosquitos. ( Have you visited my joke?)

I googled these new flies you mentioned. I even don't know the name of them in Persian! I'm not a dermatologist or a zoologist!! (Im kidding)

Or an entomologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back