Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The context is given below, and the part I am asking about is highlighted in red. What's the meaning of Sherlock's question, and what does "litter" refer to?

He dived his arm down to the bottom of the chest, and brought up a small wooden box with a sliding lid, such as children's toys are kept in. From within he produced a crumpled piece of paper, and old-fashioned brass key, a peg of wood with a ball of string attached to it, and three rusty old disks of metal.

"Well, my boy, what do you make of this lot?" he asked, smiling at my expression.

"It is a curious collection."

"Very curious, and the story that hangs round it will strike you as being more curious still."

"These relics have a history then?"

"So much so that they are history."

"What do you mean by that?"

Sherlock Holmes picked them up one by one, and laid them along the edge of the table. Then he reseated himself in his chair and looked them over with a gleam of satisfaction in his eyes.

"These," said he, "are all that I have left to remind me of the adventure of the Musgrave Ritual."
I had heard him mention the case more than once, though I had never been able to gather the details. "I should be so glad," said I, "if you would give me an account of it."

"And leave the litter as it is?" he cried, mischievously. "Your tidiness won't bear much strain after all, Watson. But I should be glad that you should add this case to your annals, for there are points in it which make it quite unique in the criminal records of this or, I believe, of any other country. A collection of my trifling achievements would certainly be incomplete which contained no account of this very singular business.

The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual
Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "litter" is the items previously mentioned -- the brass key and the other items.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
That's an informal greeting. In future, please just go ahead and ask your question. You do not need to start your post with any greeting.
The context is in given below, and show with the part I am asking about is highlighted in red. color. What's the meaning of this Sherlock's question, and what does "litter" refer to?
See above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@MEHRANQ You must provide the source and author of that text. It's a legal requirement due to strict copyright rules. You have to do it every time you quote someone else's work.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@MEHRANQ, If you added 'Arthur Conan Doyle' to your post #1 in response to emsr2d2's reply, you still didn't name the source of the quotation — in this case, 'The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual'.