Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
billj said:
FYI, Wiktionary is compiled largely by grammarians who know what they are talking about.
And who don't agree. The full Wiktionary does not classify "where" as a preposition, and it appears that the Simple Wiktionary writer is using a definition of "preposition" that less modern English speakers don't recognise.

I'm not arguing with you, but just pointing out that if you speak a different language, there may be problems in communication, as has clearly happened here.

Source: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/where-it-was-gently-pulled.4039498/post-20739230

1. Is "and who don't agree" short for something?
What's the meaning of "and who don't agree"?

2. What's the meaning of "less modern English speakers don't recognise"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. I think they mean "Wikipedia is compiled by grammarians who don't agree [with each other]". They're adding "and who don't agree" to the end of the sentence in the quote box.

2. Would you understand it better if it said "... that speakers of a less modern style of English don't understand"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2. Would you understand it better if it said "... that speakers of a less modern style of English don't understand"?
Not really. What might be an example of a less modern style of English?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
2. I think he's referring to either some amateur grammar nerds, or certain academic grammarians from recent decades, or both.

The point is that people disagree on word classification.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't have to go back to Dickens. The ways I learned grammar in school in the 80s is different from what is said by the teachers here today. For instance, I never learned anything called a "determiner."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, that's what I meant. Views of grammar today differ from those of fifty or so years ago. Word classification is one notable example.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The style of Charles Dickens.
I am not a contemporary of Dickens (obviously). I suppose those who were his contemporaries would have trouble understanding modern English.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
For instance, I never learned anything called a "determiner."
That's interesting. I thought it always existed. What did they call then all those words (some, any, one, articles, and so on) that come before and define noun phrases?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's interesting. I thought it always existed. What did they call then all those words (some, any, one, articles, and so on) that come before and define noun phrases?

Well, articles were articles. Articles were a basic class of word, like nouns and verbs.

I don't remember any special class of words like "some" or "any." It's a bit hazy, but I believe in a sentence like "I want some food," the word "some" would be considered an adjective.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So every tall tree would be adjectives and a noun. It's a good thing that they came up the term determiner.🙂