Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Andy had a nightmare in the night before his job interview. Someone pushed him overboard into the cold sea. He was drowning as he found himself deep in the dark water. When he surfaced, he watched the ship move away. Andy shouted, but his voice was muffled by the sound of waves. His eyes swept the horizon, but he saw no sign of civilisation. The grey sky and the stormy sea was an immense mass. He panicked, and as the water entered his mouth, Andy choked. He woke up coughing and had a premonition he was going to fail.

A few hours later, the interviewer was observing him carefully and then said, "At least you could have shaved," the man said. "We like our workers to be always well-groomed."
Andy blushed and covered his face with his hands. That was unforgivable. How had he missed to shave? What had he looked in the mirror?
"I'm so sorry," he managed to say. "I slept badly. I hadn't seen properly my face."
"It's all right, young man," said the interviewer. "We'll not hold your unshaven face against you."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Have I made any mistakes?

Andy had a nightmare [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the night before his job interview. He dreamt that someone pushed him overboard into the cold sea. He was drowning as he found himself deep in the dark water. When he surfaced, he watched the ship move away. Andy shouted, but his voice was muffled by the sound of waves. His eyes swept the horizon, but he saw no sign of civilisation. The grey sky and the stormy sea [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were/formed an immense mass. He panicked, and as the water entered his mouth, Andy choked. He woke up coughing and had a premonition he was going to fail the interview.

A few hours later, the interviewer was observing him carefully and then said, "At least you could have shaved." [STRIKE]the man said.[/STRIKE] "We like our workers to be always well-groomed."
Andy blushed and covered his face with his hands. That was unforgivable. How [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] did/could he [STRIKE]missed[/STRIKE] forget to shave? [STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] Had he not looked in the mirror?
"I'm so sorry," he managed to say. "I slept badly last night and went out in a rush this morning". [STRIKE]I hadn't seen properly my face."
[/STRIKE] "It's all right, young man," said the interviewer. "We'll not hold your unshaven face against you."

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
teechar,
I started directly with "Someone pushed him overboard into the cold sea" because I believe a reader would understand that was Andy's dream because I mentioned that he had a nightmare. Do you really believe that I need to write "He dreamt that..."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I prefer it with the addition.

Status