Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have seen & heard many time phrases like "Wait another 2 days". How is it possible? Another = an other = one other (singular) and here we have 2 days (plural). Is it an accepted "mistake"?

I have seen & heard many time phrases like "Wait another 2 days". How is it possible? Another = an other = one other (singular) and here we have 2 days (plural). Is it an accepted "mistake"?
It is not a mistake. We can think of 'two days' as 'a period of two days' - Two days is not long to wait.

We frequently use "another" before a plural noun.

May I have another three glasses of wine, please?
I have to wait another four months to find out if I passed my exam!
Another twelve people turned up late to the meeting.

Think of it as "a further".

A common expression that could mean to wait 2 days more than an undefined period you have already waited or 2 more days beyond the 2 days you have already waited or wait 2 days more from the time the statement is spoken/written..

"Another" has the meaning of "additional" in that use. Another two men have joined our crew. John had a shot of whiskey; then he quickly downed another six.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back