Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Just learned a new work today- case in point. I always use- for example or for instance. And they both are formal words that can be used in formal essay writing. But I could not find any info on "case in point". It is a formal linking word as well?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First of all, 'case in point', 'for example' and 'for instance' are not words – they are phrases.

'Case in point' is usually used as part of the text, with 'a' before it.

'Some dogs can be vicious; the rottweiler is a case in point'.

At the start of a clause or longer phrase, 'case in point' without the article – meaning 'for example/for instance', is informal, I'd say.

'Critics are sometimes scathing; case in point – Ellie Mentary, who hates Sherlock Holmes stories'.

For more examples, click here.

shanghailuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I just happened to compose a paragraph and used 'case in point' in it. Is it a correct usage of 'case in point' here? Please help.

The rising demands of life are prime reasons that distance families from each other. To meet these demands, there is no other better choice than dedicating more time to work in order to secure financial capability. Consequently, inadequate time is left over in daily life to be with families. Life of white collar workers, who spend most of their daily life time at work, is a good case in point in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Isn't in this regard redundant?

Status