Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I established an online group among my foreign friends; they've never been to China so they prbably don't know what WeChat is. However, some foreigners I know they do use this app. Yesterday, I wanted to make sure if they know and use it, so I asked in our group:

Any of you uses WeChat?

Is my question (in italic) natural?

It's fine in very casual English as a standalone sentence, but I'd still recommend you use the standard question word order.

Does any of you use[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] WeChat?

By the way, this sentence is confusing:

I established an online group among my foreign friends; they've never been to China so they prbably don't know what WeChat is. However, some foreigners I know they do use this app. Yesterday, I wanted to make sure if they know and use it, so I asked in our group:

Did you mean "I know some foreigners who do use this app" or "Some foreigners I know do use this app"?

Last edited:
'Do any of you use WeChat?'

'Does anybody in the group use WeChat?'

'Do any of you use WeChat?'

'Does anybody in the group use WeChat?'
Hmmm... I wanted to keep Silverobama's original -(e)s intact after adding do, so I opted for "Does any of you ..." instead of "Do any of you ...", and I didn't even for a second stop, thinking "It has to be do, not does".

I've done some research and it turns out that "Do any of ..." beats "Does any of ..." by a lot, sometimes even by an order of magnitude, depending on what search engine I used. Most books and usage guides I've consulted recommend using only "Do any of ...", but some also allow "Does any of ..." if I'm expecting only one answer or multiple answers given as a series, one by one. Most, however, agree that "Does any one of ..." should instead be used in such case.

I'm confused. I've heard "Does any of ..." so many times it just sounds right. Is it a common mistake, a regional thing, or just a matter of preference?

Last edited:
I'd say only Do any of you ...? or, when speaking to two people, Does either of you ...?

I'd say only Do any of you ...? or, when speaking to two people, Does either of you ...?

There are 21 people in the group so it's an online chat group. Two people can't form a group, according to the rules of WeChat.

I'm confused. I've heard "Does any of ..." so many times it just sounds right. Is it a common mistake, a regional thing, or just a matter of preference?

Does any of you sounds wrong to me. I don't think you should use it.

Any of you use WeChat? is fine for me in the context.

Does any of you sounds wrong to me. I don't think you should use it.

Agree. If it's not actually wrong, it sounds terribly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back