Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
Do you use "Anytime" in BrE instead of "You are welcome"?
For example, "Thank you so much for your help." "Anytime."

I prefer it with two words, too.

And be careful of the difference between every day and everyday. A lot of Americans confuse them. (Maybe a lot of British, too.)

And be careful of the difference between every day and everyday. A lot of Americans confuse them. (Maybe a lot of British, too.)

Thank you. ''Everyday'' is used as an adjective if I am not mistaken. For example, ''Practise everyday English.''

It is not a formal expression. Am I right? Is ''Not at all'' more formal than ''You are welcome''? Which of the three expressionsdo native speakers use most of the time?

It is not a formal expression. Am I right? Is ''Not at all'' more formal than ''You are welcome''? Which of the three expressionsdo native speakers use most of the time?

"Anytime" is informal. Also "no worries" (Aust).
"You are welcome" is most common.
"It's a pleasure" is formal.

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'formal'?

Are you talking about what somebody would use when, say, the task is part of their job? If so, they would not say Any time or It's a pleasure.

Thank you. ''Everyday'' is used as an adjective if I am not mistaken. For example, ''Practice everyday English.''

Yes, if you mean practicing English that is commonly used everyday. But if you are referring to the practice of English on a daily basis, it should be "Practice English everyday".

But if you are referring to the practice of English on a daily basis, it should be "Practice English everyday".

It's probably a typo, but it should be "Practise English every day". (I've used the BrE spelling for the verb "practise" but I believe "practice" is used as a verb in AmE.)

What do you mean by 'formal'?

Are you talking about what somebody would use when, say, the task is part of their job? If so, they would not say Any time or It's a pleasure.

No, I was not talking about such situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back