Apparently, the higher the temperature, the more intense the flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does "apparently" always have the meaning "seems like, looks like" not obvious? Does it mean "It seems that"? but for "apparent", it is two-meaningss like the following.
1)It was apparent from her face that she was really upset- obvious.
2)My parents were concerned at my apparent lack of enthusiasm for school- seeming.

ex)In Chinese food, the idea is that it should be boiling hot, because that is crucial to its flavor, embodied in the phrase wok hei, which means the ‘breath’ or essence of the combination of tastes added by a hot wok. In 2005 Belgian researchers at Leuven University confirmed just how the link between temperature and taste works. They identified microscopic channels in our taste buds, which seem to respond differently at different temperatures. Apparently, the higher the temperature, the more intense the flavor. This is why ice cream does not taste that sweet straight from the fridge, which is why ice cream makers add stacks of sugar―as you can tell all too clearly when ice cream melts. In a similar way, some bitter tastes, like tea, taste better when hot because they are more intense.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does "apparently" always have the meaning "seems like, looks like" not obvious?
It can also mean ''from what I've heard'.

I have just spoken to Mary. Apparently (= Mary told me) a teacher at her daughter's school has run away with a pupil.

1)It was apparent from her face that she was really upset- obvious. Yes. In this meaning, 'apparent' rarely comes directly before the noun
2)My parents were concerned at my apparent lack of enthusiasm for school- seeming. Yes. In this meaning, apparent usually comes before the noun.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Apparently = this is what we can learn from the research. It's the I've heard/been told idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.