Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
An Introductory Series of Appositive. Example:The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful— all have trouble coping with problems. My doubt is on which basis "The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful" these words considered as appositives? Could anyone please clarify my doubt?

J

J&K Tutoring

An appositive is a noun, a noun phrase, or a noun clause which sits next to another noun to rename it or to describe it in some other way.

With that understanding, only "the stressed, the lonely, the fearful" could be considered appositives for The depressed.

I think a better example of appositives would be something like: Certain people: the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful, have trouble coping with problems. Now we have the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful as appositives for people.

Check Bassim's post below about Bob, a tomcat for a good example of an appositive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If that's an introductory series, it isn't very good IMO.

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
When I was reading about Sentence Patterns I got doubt on this. So in Pattern 6: An Introductory Series of Appositive. Example:The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful—all have trouble coping with problems. Pattern 7: An Internal Series of Appositives or Modifiers. Example: Basic writing skills--good vocabulary, knowledge of grammar, sense of style--can be learned by almost everyone. So could you please answer to my question now? If they are not appositives then why that author written those type of sentences?? So here which is right answer? the author is or the one who answers here are right?? but if you browse on that topic you will get lot of same matter in internet so, which I has to believe?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I was reading about Sentence Patterns I got [STRIKE]doubt on[/STRIKE] confused by this:

Pattern 6: An Introductory Series of Appositive. Example:The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful—all have trouble coping with problems.
Pattern 7: An Internal Series of Appositives or Modifiers. Example: Basic writing skills--good vocabulary, knowledge of grammar, sense of style--can be learned by almost everyone.
Who is the author of the text you have quoted?

[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] Could you please answer to my question now?
If they are not appositives, [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] why has that author written those [STRIKE]type of[/STRIKE] sentences?[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]So here[/STRIKE][STRIKE] which [/STRIKE] Who has given the right answer – the author [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] or the one who answered here? [STRIKE]are right??[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]but if you browse on that topic you will get lot of same matter in internet so,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]which I has[/STRIKE]

​Who have I to believe?
I have corrected the many mistakes you have made in your post. Please tell us who wrote the text you have quoted, and why you are worried about appositives—an aspect of grammar which even advanced students of the language don't need to know the name of.

Last edited:

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have corrected the many mistakes you have made in your post. Please tell us who wrote the text you have quoted, and why you are worried about appositives—an aspect of grammar which even advanced students of the language don't need to know the name of.

The art of styling sentences : 20 patterns for success by Ann Longknife,. K.D. Sullivan and The Art of Styling Sentences: 20 Patterns for Success. by. Marie L. Waddell. Robert M. Esch. Roberta R. Walker. Actually I am not a native speaker and I learned English as my second language so I just curious about usage of this language. When I searched about sentence patterns I found this kind of sentences. After reading these patterns, really, I am totally confused in pattern 6 and 7. These pattrens are about appositives only.

Pattern 6: An introductory series of appositives followed by a dash, a summarizing word that may be the subject, and a verb.

Examples: Vanity, greed, corruption—which serves as the novel’s source of conflict?
Bull riding, camel races, bronco riding, and roping—these events mean “rodeo” to many people.
The Mona Lisa, Michelangelo’s David, the frescoes in the Sistine Chapel—many are the wonders of the Renaissance in Italy.

Pattern 7:An internal series of appositives or modifiers enclosed by a pair of dashes or parentheses.

Examples:The necessary qualities for political life—guile, ruthlessness, and garrulity he has learned from his father.
The much-despised predators—mountain lions, timber wolves, and grizzly bears—have been shot trapped, and poisoned so relentlessly for so long that they have nearly vanished from their old haunts.
The basic fencing moves (the advance, the retreat, the lunge) demand careful balance by both fencers.

Last edited:

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
An appositive is a noun, a noun phrase, or a noun clause which sits next to another noun to rename it or to describe it in some other way.

With that understanding, only "the stressed, the lonely, the fearful" could be considered appositives for The depressed.

I think a better example of appositives would be something like: Certain people: the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful, have trouble coping with problems. Now we have the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful as appositives for people.

Check Bassim's post below about Bob, a tomcat for a good example of an appositive.

I think the answer what you gave is wrong?!!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You should set this subject aside and concentrate on other areas of English writing. Appositives, compound possessives, em dashes, Oxford commas -- these are all advanced subjects which should be studied only after completely mastering the many more-common grammar issues that give learners trouble.

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If that's an introductory series, it isn't very good IMO.

The art of styling sentences : 20 patterns for success by Ann Longknife,. K.D. Sullivan and The Art of Styling Sentences: 20 Patterns for Success. by. Marie L. Waddell. Robert M. Esch. Roberta R. Walker

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You should set this subject aside and concentrate on other areas of English writing. Appositives, compound possessives, em dashes, Oxford commas -- these are all advanced subjects which should be studied only after completely mastering the many more-common grammar issues that give learners trouble.

I do not have any trouble with any gramamatical terms and even though I do not have trouble with appositives. I have a doubt only on these patterns.

Pattern 6: An introductory series of appositives followed by a dash, a summarizing word that may be the subject, and a verb.

Examples: Vanity, greed, corruption—which serves as the novel’s source of conflict?
Bull riding, camel races, bronco riding, and roping—these events mean “rodeo” to many people.
The Mona Lisa, Michelangelo’s David, the frescoes in the Sistine Chapel—many are the wonders of the Renaissance in Italy.

Pattern 7:An internal series of appositives or modifiers enclosed by a pair of dashes or parentheses.

Examples:The necessary qualities for political life—guile, ruthlessness, and garrulity he has learned from his father.
The much-despised predators—mountain lions, timber wolves, and grizzly bears—have been shot trapped, and poisoned so relentlessly for so long that they have nearly vanished from their old haunts.
The basic fencing moves (the advance, the retreat, the lunge) demand careful balance by both fencers.

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are these appositves?

After reading these patterns, really, I am totally confused in pattern 6 and 7. These pattrens are about appositives only.Are ITALICS appositives here?

SOURCE: The art of styling sentences : 20 patterns for success by Ann Longknife,. K.D. Sullivan and The Art of Styling Sentences: 20 Patterns for Success. by. Marie L. Waddell. Robert M. Esch. Roberta R. Walker.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Are these appositves?

Threads merged.

J

J&K Tutoring

Nanu 1, in what way do you think my response was incorrect?

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

An appositive is a noun, a noun phrase, or a noun clause which sits next to another noun to rename it or to describe it in some other way. I know this is basic definition for appositives.

Certain people: the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful, have trouble coping with problems.
This sentence structure is like "S – appositive, appositive, appositive – V" so it is about pattern 7. I need answer for pattern 6. For 6 sentence structure is like "Appositive, appositive, appositive—S V"
:cry:

J

J&K Tutoring

Your examples, #6 and #7 (two appositives!) are simply reordering(s) of the standard structure, and so a bit confusing for language learners like yourself.

So my response was not wrong, it just was not the answer you were looking for.

GoesStation gave you some good advice: Stay away from these complicated and unusual structures until you master the more basic things, such as the use of articles. You leave them out way too often!

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Your examples, #6 and #7 (two appositives!) are simply reordering(s) of the standard structure, and so a bit confusing for language learners like yourself.

GoesStation gave you some good advice: Stay away from these complicated and unusual structures until you master the more basic things, such as the use of articles. You leave them out way too often!

Sorry I am not reordering them and those patterns are like only.

"Appositive, appositive, appositive—S V"

"S – appositive, appositive, appositive – V"

SOURCE: The art of styling sentences : 20 patterns for success by Ann Longknife,. K.D. Sullivan and The Art of Styling Sentences: 20 Patterns for Success. by. Marie L. Waddell. Robert M. Esch. Roberta R. Walker.

or
Please could you look at these and then answer to my question.
http://www.oxfordtutorials.com/TWENTY SENTENCE PATTERNS.htm

http://msmelancon.tripod.com/sentencepatterns.htm

Last edited:

Nanu1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Plese could you look at these and then answer me
http://msmelancon.tripod.com/sentencepatterns.htm

http://www.oxfordtutorials.com/TWENTY SENTENCE PATTERNS.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.