Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again,

Pipe couplings are limited in the application as follows:

Could the bolded fragment be interpreted as "find limited application in the following cases" or "are used to a limited degree/extent/measure as follows"?

What is your opinion?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do your mean pipe couplings as a manufactured component has limited applications?

Why do you say "limited"? Every manufactured component serves different functions.

How about:

Pipe couplings are used in the following applications:...?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I will stick with the original. Limited, because they must not be used in all conditions.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I will stick with the original. Limited, because they must not be used in all conditions.

I thought that is redundant. What manufactured part has unlimited applications?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Could you or somebody else tell me whether or not my reasoning is right?

J

J&K Tutoring

Whew! Here we have two non-native English speakers trying to understanding a translation by some other non-native English speaker. We call this "The blind leading the blind" though this has yet another layer of a bad translation added.

Pipe couplings are limited in the application as follows:

This starts out wrong (poor translation). It should be:
Pipe couplings are limited in their application as follows: = Pipe couplings are limited in the way they can be applied as follows.= Pipe couplings can be used in certain ways, but not in other ways- ways that follow. This last is the critical part. Further specifications will make clear how the couplings can/cannot be used.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think your quoting of the saying "the blind leading the blind" is patronising. The only mistake made in the translation is the word "the" instead of "their", which I don't think makes much difference to the meaning of the phrase.

How are you so sure that the statement will be followed by the list of applications of pipe couplings and another list of non-applications (ways that they cannot be used)? As I said, every product has specific applications and it is understood that with cases/situations that are not covered in the lists, the product is not suitable.

Jacek, could you please confirm?

J

J&K Tutoring

You're digging your hole deeper!

The pipe couplings are to be used in certain ways, and those ways would be listed. Also, a very few possible uses that are not approved would be listed. Perhaps they are not intended for structural purposes; perhaps not for food processing; perhaps above/below certain temperatures, etc. It's a bit silly to think they would try to come up with a list of all the ways the couplings cannot be used.

How do I know?
a. I am a native speaker, and I know what the words "as follows" mean.
b. JACEK1 confirmed it in post #3.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I would like to say that both tedmc and I had the misfortune to be born in countries where English is not the main language. I, for one, say that from a linguistic point of view. I regret not having been taught English since I was born but that is something I can do nothing about. I had the good fortune to learn English at some point in my life and I am really aware of the fact that I will never speak as well as a newborn baby living in the UK, USA, Canada or somewhere else. I don't care about It. Some things are beyond our control. You have an advantage over us by being born in a country with English as the main language.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jacek1, it's safe to say you speak English better than any newborn baby anwhere in the world!

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you. Maybe you are right but the fact that native speakers of English have been exposed to English since their birth puts them in a much better position. In my opinion, I speak ancient English (I don't want to offend users of the Old English), at least to the ears of native speakers. I don't regret living where I live.

A newborn baby living in the UK, USA, Canada or somewhere else has a chance to grow up to become a person proficient in English by being constantly "bombarded" with English.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Jacek—I understand how you feel, but J&K Tutoring really didn't mean to put you down. As always, he was only trying to help. And as always, he gave a very helpful and honest answer.

The members here all appreciate the challenges faced by non-native speakers, none more than the professional teachers. The last thing we want is to make learners feel bad for not being proficient native speakers. :)

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I appreciate your help. Thank you.

J

J&K Tutoring

You have an advantage over us by being born in a country with English as the main language.

I'm not so sure about that! Haven't you heard this one?
Q: What do you call a person who can speak two languages? A: Bilingual
Q: What do you call a person who can speak three languages? A: Trilingual
Q: What do you call a person who can speak only one language? A: American

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not so sure about that! Haven't you heard this one?
Q: What do you call a person who can speak two languages? A: Bilingual
Q: What do you call a person who can speak three languages? A: Trilingual
Q: What do you call a person who can speak only one language? A: American

And the version of that joke I tell finishes with British!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are plenty of Americans who can speak two languages. We call them Hispanics.
;-)

J

J&K Tutoring

There are plenty of Americans who can speak two languages. We call them Hispanics.
;-)

Yes, but listen to the others squawk when they have to press one extra button at the ATM... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.