Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What's the difference between a limited duration, a temporary action and the current trend?

1. "She is learning English." (Limited and temporary)

2. "She is working in a bank." (Meaning temporarily but isn't it also limted?)

3. "They are living in poverty.' (current trend as one of my books says)

Does the first sentence express a limited duration and isn't it also a temporary action? Does the third sentence express the current trend only?

"The current trend" was mentioned in my book "English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's the difference between a limited duration (a brief period between start and end) , a temporary action (a non-permanent action) and the current trend ? ( a recent activity or popular action that seems to be continuing)

1. "She is learning English." (Limited and temporary)

2. "She is working in a bank." (Meaning temporarily but isn't it also limited?) Not necessarily temporary nor limited. At the present-yes, but it could be permanent.

3. "They are living in poverty.' (current trend as one of my books says) I don't like "trend" in that example. I would prefer to describe it as a condition with no foreseeable change. I would describe it as "current circumstance".

Does the first sentence express a limited duration and isn't it also a temporary action? Does the third sentence express the current trend only?

"The current trend" was mentioned in my book "English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince.

My shot. Obviously, the examples lack and were not intended to include context, but as standalone my responses were based on "as is" .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.