Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"He receives a confrontation" doesn't mean anything. Disagree all you want.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's not politically correct nowadays to ask if someone is "retarded" when they are acting stupid. This seems like a way to ask the same question but not use the offensive word.

When "retarded" became politically incorrect the medical profession switched to "delayed". That seemed to mollify the protesters. I think it's hilarious that a synonym could deflect the criticism.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
With all due respect, I don’t think I made it up. I might have seen it somewhere but couldn’t recall exactly where and when.

I asked who wrote it and you responded 'Yours truly'. Can you see how that made me think you made it up? And since you can't remember anything useful about hearing this phrase before, we can pretty much say that you did in fact make it up. I'm just asking you to make this clear to us in future because it will save time, prevent confusion, and lead to better answers.

My original post did ask how would you interpret it and I did give options.

Yes. However, when asking about language that you've seen or heard, please remember to give us as much context as possible. Remember that interpretation comes almost completely from context. You should focus on language in use. If you're going to make up your own sentences, please tell us as precisely as possible what you intend the sentences to mean, and how you imagine them to be used. Don't make up your own sentences and then proceed to ask us what you mean.

On top of that, I did ask if it would sound rude.

Right, but that's almost impossible to answer if you don't provide the context of use.

The question was simple, would the sentence be ambiguous to you or it would mean only one thing based on the structure or word.

With respect, it may have been simple, but it wasn't very good, in my opinion. Whether a sentence is ambiguous, pragmatically speaking, is completely determined by the context of use.

I would draw on your inputs to make a conclusion. You or any other moderators are very welcome to express your constructive remarks.

Good. We're not shy about expressing our views here. And we're keen to help you as best we can. :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When "retarded" became politically incorrect the medical profession switched to "delayed". That seemed to mollify the protesters. I think it's hilarious that a synonym could deflect the criticism.

That's PC for you. "Colored people" is offensive, but "people of color" is fine. For now.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wanted to know if the phrase could be offensive or be interpreted in different manners.

Although it is superficially polite, the meaning is rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.