[General] As a native german speaker I would like to improve my practical abillities in English

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello dear forum !

What sould I do? For examle, I would like to engage in some discussions in the internet to improve my English. But who will correct my sentences <i>and</i> discuss the choosen item ? Where should I begin (level)?

Never having been very shy usung my limited English I had to encounter over the time, for exaple talking to my English unkle, how many faults I am actualliy still making (even where I should have known better, e.g. tenses!). The more I´m reading englich texts the more I become aware how restricted may abillitiys are to convey what I would like to express. My kowledge of the german grammar is almost at a professional level (I´m working as a "Lernhelfer" (i.e. with no degree) helping refugees leraning German), so friends said: "Don´t worry, you will improve on your own." Bur I´m not so sure ...

I believe this are the main problems:

1. limited actikve (!) vocabulary

2. what I call the 'typical Denglish-Problem': I am still thinking in German, which includes "false friends" (become - > "bekommen") and grammar/syntax. I´m often afraid that the sentences that silently I am construing in my mind would never be built by a native speaker in that manner. But now I´m quite helpless when I´m looking for a better phrase. What I need seems to be aquaintace of at least some of the english idioms. I understand them passively, but I don´t make any progress using them.

3. More importend, to avoid this problems, as it seems, is to learn more grammar / sentence-structure.

Some examples: For this post I had to use the dictionary several times because the right expression didn´t come to my mind. I changed here and there the word order, but only my intuition told me so. May be the result was even worse! What is exactly the correct use of for "rather" (I never dare to use it).

I don´t expect a complete correction of this post, but some remarks are much appreciated!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello dear forum members!

What should I do? For example, I would like to engage in some discussions [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on the internet to improve my English. But who will correct my sentences and discuss the [STRIKE]choosen[/STRIKE] chosen [STRIKE]item[/STRIKE] topic? Where should I begin (level)?

[STRIKE]Never having[/STRIKE] I have never been very shy [STRIKE]usung[/STRIKE] using my limited English. [STRIKE]I had to encounter over the time,[/STRIKE] For example, [STRIKE]talking[/STRIKE] I talk to my English uncle, but I don't know how many [STRIKE]faults[/STRIKE] mistakes/errors I am [STRIKE]actualliy[/STRIKE] actually still making (even where I should have known better, e.g. tenses!) The more [STRIKE]I´m reading[/STRIKE] I read [STRIKE]englich[/STRIKE] English texts, the more I become aware how restricted [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] my [STRIKE]abillitiys[/STRIKE] ability [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] to convey what I would like to express is. My knowledge of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] German grammar is almost at a professional level (I´m working as a "Lernhelfer" (i.e. with no degree) helping refugees [STRIKE]leraning[/STRIKE] [to] learn German), so my friends [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] say (no colon here) "Don´t worry, you will improve on your own." But I´m not so sure ...

I believe [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these are the main problems:

1. Limited [STRIKE]actikve[/STRIKE] active (!) vocabulary.

2. What I call the 'typical Denglish-Problem': I am still thinking in German, which includes "false friends" (become - > "bekommen") and grammar/syntax. I´m often afraid that the sentences that silently I am constructing in my mind would never be [STRIKE]built[/STRIKE] constructed/used by a native speaker in [STRIKE]that manner[/STRIKE] the same way. But now I´m quite helpless when I´m looking for a better phrase. What I need seems to be [STRIKE]acquaintance[/STRIKE] knowledge of at least some [STRIKE]of the[/STRIKE] English idioms. I understand them passively, but I don´t make any progress using them.

3. More [STRIKE]importend[/STRIKE] importantly, to avoid [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these problems, [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] it seems (no comma here) [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] I need to learn more about grammar and sentence (no hyphen here) structure.

[STRIKE]Some examples:[/STRIKE] For this post, I had to use the dictionary several times because the right expression didn´t come to [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] mind. I changed [STRIKE]here and there[/STRIKE] the word order here and there, but only because my intuition told me [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] to. [STRIKE]May be[/STRIKE] Maybe the result was even worse! What is [STRIKE]exactly[/STRIKE] the correct use of [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] "rather" (I never dare to use it)?

I don´t expect a complete correction of this post, but some remarks are much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Even though you didn't expect a correction of your entire post, that's what I've done above. Your English is pretty good! A lot of your errors were simple spelling and capitalisation mistakes.

How often do you get the opportunity to speak to native English speakers? What sort of conversations do you have? What exactly do you need English for?

You're certainly in the right place to get help with specific issues you're having with English.

In response to the only actual question you posed, "rather" has several uses. Why don't you give us some examples of where you want to use it but don't dare. You can post these queries in the Ask A Teacher section.

tryto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you very much for your immediate response !

Great that you corrected the entire post! And: Now I know that I can start with capitalization, punctuation and spacing. (I´m using now the spellchecker of chrome.)

Unfortunately I have almost no opportunity to speak to native English speakers. Nevertheless I´m quite often in situations where a quick response is needed or advised. As a volunteer, I help people in German. My 'clients' are sometimes even native English speakers (on the internet). Here I often simply don´t know if they understand my German explanations (too complicated). I think it would be much more polite to answer in - proper - English, so that my 'clients' can apprehend effortlessly .

And as a "Lernhelfer" I give lessons to people from Syria, Afghanistan etc. To use the English language can be very helpful to explain German grammar, although both sides are non-native speakers. But I´m simply tired of using the English Language while being aware that for the ears of a native speaker it must sound very awkward. I have to respond immediately, there is almost no time to think!

A similar situation occurred when I was talking to friends from South America. It was embarrassing when we realized how bad the English was, that we were using. We continued by using German language, then at least one part was using it how it should be. It´s also a question of respect for the language ...

I´m also afraid that I have become used to all the mistakes I make. Now I want to change this situation. My hope was that someone can give me some advice. Tutorials on the internet, learning programs, forums etc. Obviously I´m lacking some basics. But where best to get started ?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for your immediate response! (Don't put a space before an exclamation mark.)

Great that you corrected the entire post! [STRIKE]And:[/STRIKE] Now I know that I can start with capitalization, punctuation and spacing. (I´m now using [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] the spellchecker [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in/on Chrome.)

Unfortunately, I have almost no opportunity to speak to native English speakers. Nevertheless, I´m quite often in situations where a quick response is needed or advised. As a volunteer, I help people in German. My 'clients' are sometimes even native English speakers (on the internet). Here I often simply don´t know if they understand my German explanations (too complicated). I think it would be much more polite to answer in (no dash here) proper (no dash here) English, so that my 'clients' can [STRIKE]apprehend[/STRIKE] understand effortlessly. (Don't put a space before a full stop.)

[STRIKE]And[/STRIKE]As a "Lernhelfer", I give lessons to people from Syria, Afghanistan etc. [STRIKE]To use the[/STRIKE] Using English [STRIKE]language[/STRIKE] can be very helpful to explain German grammar, although both sides are non-native speakers. But I´m simply tired of using [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] English [STRIKE]Language[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]while being[/STRIKE] because I'm aware that [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to the ears of a native speaker, it must sound very awkward. I have to respond immediately; there is almost no time to think!

A similar situation occurred when I was talking to friends from South America. It was embarrassing when we realized how bad the English [STRIKE]was,[/STRIKE] that we were using was. We continued [STRIKE]by using[/STRIKE] in German [STRIKE]language[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] so at least one part was using it how it should be. I don't know what the underlined part means.

It´s also a question of respect for the languag
e. (Which language?)

I´m also afraid that I have become used to all the mistakes I make. Now I want to change this situation. My hope [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is that someone can give me some advice - tutorials on the internet, learning programs, forums etc. Obviously I´m lacking some basics, but where best to get started?

I wouldn't say you're lacking the basics. You have written two, long, quite complicated posts that were entirely understandable (with the exception of a couple of small parts). I can't recommend any specific online resources but of course I'll recommend this forum!

I'm honestly surprised you can't find some native speakers to talk to. I don't know where you are in Germany but there are plenty of English speakers living in Germany. Aren't there any language exchange evenings near you?

Last edited by a moderator:

tryto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
My postings here in the forum were my first steps of my 'project' to enhance my abilities I´m determined to pursue. Typically German has (at least in my case) the tendency to very long sentences to express an idea. English, on the other hand, can be sometimes much more concise. I like that. Maybe my posts above reflect the fact that I´m a German. I have to confess it´s a piece of work for me to write such posts.

I live the on periphery of Hamburg, near the woods, and did not think of language exchange evenings. I will check if I can find something like that in my beautiful suburb. One can never know. Thank you for the Idea!

For now I have enough to do to analyse your corrections. I´ll do that tomorrow. Very probably there will a number of specific questions arise I can ask in the Ask a Teacher Forum.

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My postings here in the forum were [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] the first steps of my 'project' to enhance my abilities I´m determined to pursue. Typically, Germans have (at least in my case) the tendency to write very long sentences to express an idea. English people, on the other hand, can be sometimes much more concise. I like that. Maybe my posts above reflect the fact that I´m a German. I have to confess it´s a [STRIKE]piece[/STRIKE] lot of work for me to write such posts.
I live [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] on the periphery of Hamburg, near the woods, and did not think of language exchange evenings. I will try to find something like that in my beautiful suburb. One [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] never knows. Thank you for the idea!

For now I have enough to do to analyse your corrections. I´ll do that tomorrow. Very probably [STRIKE]there will[/STRIKE]a number of specific questions will arise that I can ask in the Ask a Teacher forum.

Thank you very much for your help!
`

Status
Not open for further replies.