Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"They have to be endlessly explained by the commentaries of individual lives, and they gain an added mystery in each new revelation. To me the verses of the Upanishads and the teachings of Buddha have ever been things of the spirit, and therefore endowed with boundless vital growth; and I have used them, both in my own life and in my preaching, as being instinct with individual meaning for me, as for others, and awaiting for their confirmation, my own special testimony, which must have its value because of its individuality."

Here in this paragraph,I do not understand the meaning and usage of "as being".If I rewrite the sentence "
I have used them, both in my own life and in my preaching, as being instinct with individual meaning for me, as for others" below in four ways, are the four sentences grammatically correct and they express the same meaning? please get me correct.

I have used them, both in my own life and in my preaching, being instinct with individual meaning for me, as for others.

I have used them, both in my own life and in my preaching, as they are instinct with individual meaning for me, as for others.

I have used them as being instinct with individual meaning for me, as for others (both in my own life and in my preaching - when this portion is not mentioned)

I have used them being instinct with individual meaning for me, as for others (both in my own life and in my preaching - when this portion is not mentioned)

Last edited:
Do you mean "distinct"? "Instinct" is a noun, so "being instinct" doesn't work. You need an adjective after "being".

Do you mean "distinct"? "Instinct" is a noun, so "being instinct" doesn't work. You need an adjective after "being".
"Instinct" is an adjective meaning filled with some animating principle source:http://www.dictionary.com/browse/instinct?s=t

I just want to know the meaning and usage of "as being" here and do the four alternative sentences express the same meaning or not?

Well, you learn something knew every day. I have never heard "instinct" used as an adjective.

Please tell us the source and author of your quoted text, Buku.

when this portion is not mentioned

This part doesn't make sense to me. I prefer the first two as the part about your life and preaching looks a bit out of place coming after others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back