As logical as blowing up [ones] [its] own pipeline?

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
These are words of some journalist questioning John Kirby. I don't understand using "ones own" here, why not "its own"?

"Does it seem believable to you that Russia would destroy a dam and flood ethnic Russian villages and cut off the water supply to Crimea? That doesn’t seem logical. As logical as blowing up ones own pipeline?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
These are words of some journalist questioning John Kirby. I don't understand using "ones own" here, why not "its own"?

"Does it seem believable to you that Russia would destroy a dam and flood ethnic Russian villages and cut off the water supply to Crimea? That doesn’t seem logical. As logical as blowing up ones own pipeline?"
1. "some journalist" isn't sufficient. You need to provide the actual source (a link or at least the name of the journalist and the publication in which the quote appeared).
2. Was there really no apostrophe in "one's" in the original?

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
You need to provide the actual source (a link or at least the name of the journalist and the publication in which the quote appeared).
This is where it comes from.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please remember to cite the source in post #1. Now that I've seen that it's Twitter, I'm not surprised the apostrophe was missing! The use of "one's" there is simply to include everyone. Most native speakers would have said "your own pipeline".