[Grammar] As + Present Participle/Gerund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydelle

Member Type
Student or Learner
For my grammar assignment I have to analyze 3 grammatical issues from a random contemporary article. Unfortunately, I have encountered a problem - how could I explain the two following examples (in red)? I searched the internet but could not find anything that would be very useful. Perhaps someone has some idea or could direct me to a grammar book, where I could find an explanation? Thank you :)

Associated Press also reported the opposition as declaring it had formed its own government.

"Neither Russia, nor your humble servant, nor Russian officials have any links whatsoever to these events," the RIA news agency quoted him as saying.

Can you see the red parts? I must be color blind. Ok, now I see them.

Associated Press also reported the opposition as declaring it had formed its own government

These questions will get you closer:

Do you understand this sentence?
Do you know what 'as' do there?

One further small point to aid comprehension (of the example rather than the principle). 'Your humble servant' means 'I/me' (depending on how it fits in its sentence).

b

Thank you :) I found some articles on the internet which said preposition + ing = gerund, but 'as' was never listed among those prepositiosn, which is why I was not sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back