... as you are being frog-marched to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Under the new civil liberties, the right of a Muslim to praise terrorists, upload videos promoting terrorism and even funding terrorist charities would be sacrosanct under the Bill of Rights. But make a movie mocking Mohammed and suddenly the Bill of Rights won't be returning your phone calls as you are being frog-marched to your new cell.

More: The Innocence of Obama | RSN Pick of the Day Right Side News

I couldn't understand the underlined part though I know the meaning of frog-marched. Let me
hazard a guess, it means that they will drag you to jail/house correction as if you were paralyzed. In light, it is an inhumane treatment.

Last edited:

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I believe you meant "Let me hazard a guess".

Frog-marching is where you are picked up by each limb, face down somewhere, although it also means being forcibly taken somewhere against your will, usually to somewhere they don't want to be. It doesn't necessarily imply an inhumane treatment.

In that phrase, the writer is saying that there is a double standard; that a Muslim has a right to promote terrorism, but someone else does not have the right to mock Muhammad under the same Bill of Rights that both people live under. This does imply an inhumane treatment.

[Not a teacher]

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Merriam-Webster Online
There are a couple variations of the "frog's march" used to carry off an unruly person. The first involves carrying the person face downward by the arms and legs; when this is done by four people each holding a limb, the person's body resembles a stretched out frog. In another version the person is carried off by his collar and the seat of his pants, again giving the image of a frog but this time with limbs uselessly flailing about. These ways of moving a person gave us the verb "frog-march" in the late 19th century. The verb was also extended to cover more general, less frog-like, methods of removal, such as forcing the intractable individual forward with arms held in back or at the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.