Asking my mom a question: When would be a good time to come visit you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Should I go there, or will you come here?'

I noticed that no one has challenged the above sentence.

There is nothing wrong with that sentence. But that doesn't mean that "come" in the original sentence is wrong. As an AmE speaker, I would use "come" in the original sentence.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There is nothing wrong with that sentence. But that doesn't mean that "come" in the original sentence is wrong. As an AmE speaker, I would use "come" in the original sentence.

But that also doesn't mean that 'go' would be wrong in that sentence. 'go' certainly seems more logical and is supported by an American dictionary.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/go

"to move out of or away from a place expressed or implied" (my underlining)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I said I would use "come" in the first sentence. It is more natural for me. I didn't say "go" would be wrong, but you said "come" was wrong, and it isn't.

We say, "Honey, I'm coming home now".
"I am coming to London to see you in the Autumn."
'I am coming to your daughter's wedding.

These are all perfectly natural uses of "come".

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I said I would use "come" in the first sentence. It is more natural for me. I didn't say "go" would be wrong, but you said "come" was wrong, and it isn't. I do consider it wrong.

We say, "Honey, I'm coming home now".
"I am coming to London to see you in the Autumn."
'I am coming to your daughter's wedding.

These are all perfectly natural uses of "come". They may be natural to you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the are correct. Are you basically saying that you never use "go" in these circumstances? 'I'm gonna go now.' is natural, but is not correct. I think we should teach students correct English. If they want to deviate in the future, that's their choice.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is correct or not is defined by usage. How the people use a language determines what is correct.
There are many things now that we say are "non-standard" that will be perfectly fine in the future
There are many things that are standard now that were non-standard in the past.
There are many things that are are non-standard now that were correct in the past.

However, I don't believe that applies to this case. The underlining in the post above shows that "go" is used to move from something. We are talking about going toward something - in this case, Mom. In fact, the definition of come (1a, on www.m-w.com) is "a : to move toward something " making it perfectly appropriate to use. There is nothing incorrect about it.

There is little left to be gained by saying "I'm right and you're wrong" to each other in future posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.