Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Let's say I have a friend who's 28. She's a woman. In China, women who are 28 are suitable to get marriage. It's the best age and time. I wonder if it's natural to say "She's at the age of getting marriage" to mean "She's at a suitable age to get married"? Would you please tell me the natural way to say it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

Let's say I have a friend who's 28. She's a woman. In China, women who are 28 are suitable to get married. It's the best age and time. I wonder if it's natural to say "She's at the age of getting marriage" to mean "She's at a suitable age to get married"? Would you please tell me the natural way to say it?

Perhaps:

She's at the right age to get married.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Let's say I have a female friend who's 28. [STRIKE]She's a woman.[/STRIKE] In China, [STRIKE]women who are[/STRIKE] 28 is considered [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] a suitable age for a woman to get [STRIKE]marriage[/STRIKE] married.

It's the best age and time. On what basis? If you're going to say this, back it up with something.

I wonder if it's natural to say "She's at the age of getting [STRIKE]marriage[/STRIKE] married" to mean "She's at a suitable age to get married"? Would you please tell me the natural way to say it?

Please note my corrections above.

"Marriage" is a noun. The associated verb is "to marry". We also say "to get married". Your sentence is not natural. A grammatical version would be something like "She has reached a suitable age to get married". Bear in mind that there are cultural considerations. In most western countries, there is no such thing as a suitable age to get married. Most countries have a minimum legal age at which someone can marry.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about "she is of a marriageable age"?

It is true in general that ladies in Chinese societies are expected to get married around that age, as part of society's expectations and as well as being within the physiologically ideal age to bear children.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the English expression is of a marriageable age.

Women are capable of giving birth long before they can legally marry.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my corrections above.

"Marriage" is a noun. The associated verb is "to marry". We also say "to get married". Your sentence is not natural. A grammatical version would be something like "She has reached a suitable age to get married". Bear in mind that there are cultural considerations. In most western countries, there is no such thing as a suitable age to get married. Most countries have a minimum legal age at which someone can marry.

Yeah. I totally agree with you, teacher emsr2d2. I'm 33 and am still single. But you grammatical sentence is also very natural though.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah. I totally agree with you, [STRIKE]teacher[/STRIKE] emsr2d2. I'm 33 and am still single. Your sentence is grammatical and also natural.

OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.