Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the following sentence I wrote for my CV, is the use of AT correct?
She was awarded in many painting competitions at school and college.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
She received many awards for painting while at school and college.
She won many art competitions at school and college.

"Was awarded" by itself doesn't mean "received awards". The word "awarded" needs an object. Awarded what?

I know it's commonly used that way in Indian English--someone who didn't know better used it and it caught on.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could also say that she won many awards.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the following sentence I wrote for my CV, is the use of AT correct?
She was awarded in many painting competitions at school and college.
If it's your CV, why is there a reference to "she"? Your CV should be about you!

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Ah, that's a new-fangled way that seems to be getting popular. I see it on LinkedIn profiles and I suppose it's used in CVs too. The way some people add "he, his, him" or the feminine equivalents at the end of their names on public profiles and email signatures.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In a CV, wouldn't it be better not to use this sentence, but to state some of the awards- the most important.

I googled including preferred pronouns, and most guides seemed to suggest that they should be put under the name.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, that's a new-fangled way that seems to be getting popular. I see it on LinkedIn profiles and I suppose it's used in CVs too. The way some people add "he, his, him" or the feminine equivalents at the end of their names on public profiles and email signatures.
Are you saying that people now write their entire CVs in the third person? That's bizarre!

I don't see how that's connected at all to adding the pronoun information, which is simply useful for anyone who communicates with the person (or meets them in real life) and/or might have to refer to them using a pronoun.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I don't see how that's connected at all to adding the pronoun information,
No, I agree, no specific connection, now that I think about it again. The third person CV thing just made me think of the pronoun information thing, for some reason.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the use of the third-person pronoun could have been due to the conventional advice that one should avoid using "I" too often.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the use of the third-person pronoun could have been due to the conventional advice that one should avoid using "I" too often.
I know that's conventional advice but I think that's to encourage people to write bullet point lists, in which the personal pronoun can be avoided. If I received a CV in which the writer referred to themselves as "he", "she" or "they", (especially if it was mixed in with "I") I would find it very weird indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.