Bad mouth is not allowed at the workplace.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I had a gathering with my friends last night. We were chatting about bad mouth would be made people depress and sad. We could reduce it when we were working together at the same company.

So, I made a sentence as the following. Can you please check if it’s correct and natural?

Bad mouth is not allowed at the workplace.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had a gathering with my friends last night. We were chatting about the fact that bad mouth bad-mouthing someone would be made people can make them depressed and sad. We could should reduce it when we were are working together at the same company.

So, I made a sentence as the following. I wrote the following sentence. Can you please check if it’s correct and natural?

Bad-mouthing people is not allowed at the workplace.
Please note my corrections above. I assumed that you did actually mean to use the verb "bad-mouth", meaning "criticise someone behind their back". The changes I've made are based on that assumption.
However, it occurred to me when I read the final sentence, that you might have been talking about swearing (cursing/cussing). If that's the case, please let us know because there will be different changes to the original.

Note that "I had a gathering with my friends" is rather old-fashioned. It's grammatically correct but you won't hear it from many native speakers. I'd say "I got together with some friends last night".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
To bad-mouth is to talk bad things about others, or criticise/disparage them. The other word is foul-mouth, which is to use foul language or swear.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@output, do you mean 'Bad language (swearing) is not allowed in the workplace'?

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I mean not only "criticise someone behind their back", but also "have been talking about swearing (cursing/cussing)". Both of them will not be allowed at the workplace.:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I mean not only "criticise someone behind their back", but also "have been talking about swearing (cursing/cussing)". Both of them will not be allowed at the workplace.:)
OK, but you need two different phrases (verbs) for those. You need to make it clear that both bad-mouthing people and swearing are not allowed. Your original sentence doesn't do that.