Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I came across the sentence "I don't like when dirty dishes get backed up in the sink, so I do dishes right after eating." and I wonder about the expression 'get backed up'
I searched for this in some dictionaries but there is no this usage in the dictionaries.

source for the question sentence - '입이 트이는 영어, July, 2018'

I feel like this should be 'I don't like when dirty dishes get piled up in the sink, so I do dishes right after eating'.

Would you kindly explain this and let me know what dictionary has this usage? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I came across the sentence "I don't like when dirty dishes get backed up in the sink, so I do dishes right after eating."
Always tell us where you have found any text you quote, please.
I feel like this should be 'I don't like when dirty dishes get piled up in the sink, so I do dishes right after eating'.
So do I.

I came across the sentence "I don't like when dirty dishes get backed up in the sink, so I do dishes right after eating no full stop here" and I'm wondering about the expression 'get backed up'.
I searched for this it in some dictionaries but there is are no examples of this usage in the dictionaries them.

I feel like this it should be 'I don't like it when dirty dishes get piled up in the sink, so I do the dishes right after eating'.

Would you kindly explain this and let me know what dictionary has contains/includes this usage? Thanks in advance.
You still need to provide the source and author of the original sentence.

Always tell us where you have found any text you quote, please.

So do I.
You still need to provide the source and author of the original sentence.
My apology. it's from the July 2018 issue of '입이 트이는 영어', a Korean English magazine.

Last edited:
Can you give us a rough English translation of the title, as well as the author(s) or at least the publisher? We're not being picky. We have very strict copyright laws in the UK, where the forum is based.

@Lemon I noticed that you had deleted this thread, Lemon. I have undeleted it. We ask members not to delete threads when other members have taken the trouble to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back