English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

I have one question for everyone's advice because I am not sure whether I can use the word "besides" with the following sentences.

No matter how far we are apart from other people, we can still connect with our families and friends. Besides, you can search for plenty of information online.

I've looked for the dictionary to check for this word, and knowing that there're other words with similar usage (such as moreover, furthermore). However, as I know, these words should be used when there are something to add to the information that already existed. (Hope I've expressed what I've learned with correct words.)

Thank you very much!

When at the beginning of a sentence/clause and followed by a comma, besides is used to give another reason for something. It's different from the two similar words you mentioned (moreover and furthermore) because it sometimes carries a meaning like "The earlier statement I made or reasons I gave are not so important to worry about even if you are not convinced, because... [even stronger or more pertinent point]."

Unless there are relevant details in the surrounding text of your quotation that we are missing, the word besides is not used very well here. The author seems to be using besides to try to connect the two sentences or make them flow together, but it's not really working. A better word here might be additionally.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, evakillua. :)

I've looked [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] in the dictionary ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back