Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi everyone,
Could anyone please explain the difference between border, frontier, boundary and borderline? I get very similar definitions in the dictionary. Can we say that borderline is more abstract?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'll start. 'Borderline' is not often used for what separates one country from another. As a noun, it is used for what separates two classes or categories: The borderline between adverbs and prepositions is not as clear in some cases as writers used to claim it was.

'Boundary' can have a similar meaning, though it also has other meanings. 'Border' is rarely used in this sense, and 'frontier' never, in my opinion.

shabani

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
a similar meaning to your first or second definition?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A similar meaning to that of 'borderline'.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Shabani, please scroll down all the way to the bottom of this page. You will see a box named "Similar Threads". I think you will find what you need there.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll start. 'Borderline' is not often used for what separates one country from another. As a noun, it is used for what separates two classes or categories: The borderline between adverbs and prepositions is not as clear in some cases as writers used to claim it was.

A particular use of this sort of 'borderline' is in reference to a disorder or pathology of some kind: 'He's very good with numbers and memorizing meaningless statistics, but useless with people. Sometimes I think he's borderline autistic.'

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Afterthought: I had trouble thinking of an example yesterday, but I've just seen one - someone describing someone else's remarks as 'borderline racist' [=they were very close to being seen as racist].

b

Status
Not open for further replies.