czaki232

Member Type
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is exact quote from Boris Johnson's twitter. He posted that after Queen Elisabeth's death.
I am posting it here, because I would like to understand, why did Boris put articles in places there he did.
This is our country's saddest day. In the hearts (1) of every one of us there is an ache at the passing of our Queen, a deep and personal sense of loss (2) — far more intense, perhaps, than we expected.
In these first grim moments since the news, I know that millions and millions of people have been pausing whatever they have been doing, to think about Queen Elizabeth (3), about the bright and shining light that has finally gone out.
She seemed so timeless and so wonderful that I am afraid we had come to believe, like children, that she would just go on and on.
Wave after wave (4) of grief is rolling across the world, from Balmoral — where our thoughts are with all the Royal Family — and breaking far beyond this country and throughout that great Commonwealth (5) of nations that she so cherished and which cherished her in return.

1. the hearts - it is plural, it is countable, shouldn't be here zero article ?
  2. loss - shouldn't be "the loss" here ? I have even an example from dictionary " The loss of his wife was a great blow to him."
  3. Is that that the case when we say "Queen Elizabeth", "Prince Charles" we `do not` use article?
  4. Wave after wave - completely do not understand why here is without any articles
  5. Commonwealth is without articles, because of "that" ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. He is referring to specific hearts - the hearts of every person.
2. "A sense of loss" is a set phrase.
3. Yes, when we use the title and the name, as in your two examples, we don't use an article before them.
4. Like 2, "wave after wave" is a set phrase. Also, I'm not sure which articles you think should be there and where you think they should be.
5. "That" is a definite article here.

czaki232

Member Type
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In hearts of every one of us there is an ache ...
Is that sentence:
a) grammatically incorrect, because there must be "the"?
b) grammatically correct, but meaning of the sentence is different?

There is continuation of that Boris's twit.
As we think of the void (1) she leaves, we understand the vital role she played, selflessly and calmly embodying the continuity (2) and unity (3) of our country.

1. the void. Does he refer to "one particular instance of void" that she leaves (and somehow we can observe) ?
  2. Continuity and unity are both uncountable. One is with the, other without. Is continuity "one and particluar" , and "unity" not really?

czaki232

Member Type
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Also one more case , popular recently.

Who is show called "House of the dragon" , when "The house of the dragon" sounds in my option more accurate.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also Here is one more case example; it's a show that's become popular recently.

Who Why is the show called "House of the Dragon" no comma here when "The House of the Dragon" sounds in my option more accurate, in my opinion?
Note my corrections above. Make sure you write in complete sentences. Also note the correct spelling of "opinion" (you wrote "option").

TV and film titles don't have to be grammatically correct. Things like articles are frequently omitted. A more famous recent example is "Game of Thrones".

czaki232

Member Type
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you @emsr2d2 .
Can I get an answer to the question I have posted before the "House of the Dragon" one, please?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
See point number 1 in post 2. If you are not satisfied with that answer, please explain why and we'll try to help.

czaki232

Member Type
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi @probus
I am satisfied with that particular answer.
I am trying to understand, whether other variant of that sentence is even correct in English, and I did not receive answer to that particular question.
In Polish, we do not have articles as all. This is why it is so confusing for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The loss of his wife" requires the article, as you wrote. That sentence doesn't contain the set phrase "sense of loss". The original sentence does contain an article - it says "a deep and personal sense of loss". Putting "the" after "personal" would be incorrect.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here's me thinking "Boris's twit" was a reference to Dominic Cummings. 🤩🤩🤗

Status