Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I'm unsure if I should place a comma before 'which' in the following sentence.

1) I bought a new dress, which I will be wearing to Suzanne’s party.

2) I remember having read somewhere that it's either no comma or two commas. If it has to be this way, then the above sentence should not carry a comma after the word 'dress'.

Thank you for teaching me! :-D

Are you suggesting that any sentence should have a minimum of two commas if it has any commas at all? What a strange suggestion. That would make sentences like "However, I could not find my keys" incorrect. It's not.

No no....I really don't know what's the rule. I remember having read in some grammar books that it's either no comma or two commas in the context of using 'which' I think....unless I'd remembered wrongly

You are remembering the rule partially. When we have a non-defining clause, headed by "which", it is set off by commas unless it ends the sentence. The commas indicate that the information is supplementary.

Your sentence is fine. There is no reason for more than one comma. It's perfect.

'The new dress, which I will be wearing to Suzanne’s party, was bought last week.'
'The new dress which I will be wearing to Suzanne’s party was bought last week.'

I think the OP means the above.

2) I remember having read somewhere that it's either no comma or two commas.

Either your memory is wrong or the source- either way, this is not the case.

'I bought a new dress which I will be wearing to Suzanne’s party.'

Would the restrictive clause suggest the speaker kept in mind that she would be wearing it to Suzanne’s party while buying it?

'The new dress, which I will be wearing to Suzanne’s party, was bought last week.'
'The new dress which I will be wearing to Suzanne’s party was bought last week.'

I think the OP means the above.

Yes, Matthew Wai, that was what I meant. Is it okay to write the sentence with either two commas or without any comma? Personally, I feel there's it's fine both ways. However, I don't know if it's acceptable, grammatically.

Thank you!

Either your memory is wrong or the source- either way, this is not the case.

This means it's alright to use just a comma? Just to clarify.....

Thank you!

Personally, I feel there's it's fine both ways. However, I don't know if it's acceptable, grammatically.
I think both are grammatical but they mean differently.

Ocean, your original sentence has the clause at the end. There are not places for two commas in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back