But, I am optimistic and a glass half full, and always try to keep a positive perspec

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Is the following correct? I wrote it myself.

Making this choice was not easy. I went through a hard time. It was a real struggle, as I first had to wrestle a lot with my inner self and then convince myself. I knew that this would affect my whole life both positively and negatively. But, I am optimistic and see a glass half full, and always try to keep a positive perspective in life.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the following correct? I wrote it myself.

Making this choice was not easy. I went through a hard time. It was a real struggle, as I first had to wrestle a lot with my inner self and then convince myself. (Convince yourself of what?) I knew that it would affect my whole life both positively and negatively. But (No comma here) I am optimistic and see a glass half full, and always try to keep a positive perspective on life.

Please note corrections.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
(Convince yourself of what?)
The following paragraph came first:

A particular decision that was extremely important to me was the one to further my studies beyond my bachelor's degree abroad, especially in an English-speaking country. That was a tough decision, because I needed to consider all the possible aspects of living alone in a foreign country, including living costs, housing, homesickness, climate, tuition fees, the university's reputation, and career opportunities.

Is there any difference between "this" and "it" here?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had to go back to the first post to be able to figure out what you said in the last one. Now I am certain that "convince" doesn't work at all. Perhaps:

I weighed all the factors and then made a decision.

Or:

I took everything into consideration and then made a decision.

Also, it should be:

Making that choice was not easy.

As for it, that refers to the decision. (Explaining why it should be "it" and not "this" would take more work than I am willing to do.)