Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Well, congratulations. You're done with nouns, and we move on to verbs. And chapter 15, I'm going to give you an introduction to verbal grammar in general, much like we did with nouns in chapter five. But in fact, you already know most of what Chapter 15 has to say, because we've learned it a lot in connection with Amy in Chapter eight, but also in other bits and places throughout these first chapters. So most of this should read as a review to you. Verbs are those words that express action or a state of being. I am studying Greek. Greek is the heavenly language. So those are verbs and that's what we're going to work with now. We've already seen that verbs have both person and number first, second or third person, singular or plural. And we've also seen that verbs have to agree with their subject in person and number. So if the subject is first person singular, the verb has to be first person singular. And you would have, for example, εἰμί. But if the subject were second person plural, you would have to have a verb that is second person plural in its form. And for example, ἐστέ. That's agreement. It's really important that you distinguish the terms time and tense. It's going to be easy to confuse them because of English, but it is critical for reasons of X to Jesus that you keep these two words separate. (my bold)

Source: https://www.biblicaltraining.org/le...01-15-introduction-to-verbs#class--transcript

What does the expression " for reasons of X to Jesus" mean in the last sentence?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's going to be easy to confuse them because of English, but it is critical for reasons of X to Jesus that you keep these two words separate.
The entire sentence is problematic.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what that expression means.

You can simply ignore it. It adds nothing to sentence. In fact, deleting it improves the sentence.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Last edited: