But Russell was not nearly as successful as Alain de Botton is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sane-1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the word "is" necessary in the following sentence?

But Russell was not nearly as successful as Alain de Botton is.

It is necessary, yes. Without it, the reader would interpret an ellipsis of was, and Alain de Botton is very much still alive and present.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the previous speaker. "Is" isn't necessary. It's necessary only if the listener is likely not to know who Alain de Botton is, that's why it's not obvious for them whether Alain is alive and present or isn't. When it's not the case, "is" can be omitted.

I agree with jutfrank. This may be influenced by the fact that I have no idea who Alain de Botton is/was.

I agree with jutfrank. This may be influenced by the fact that I have no idea who Alain de Botton is/was.
Neither do I but I don't know whether the listener has no idea either.

Frankly speaking, after reentering the thread and reading the sentence again, I've changed my mind: I'd use "is" just to make myself as clear as possible.

That, I think, was jutfrank's point.

Who is Russell? I am curious as I think Alain de Botton's contribution to philosophy is up there with Fortune Cookies and Christmas crackers.

Was the author speaking of Bertrand Russell? If so, they were comparing an elephant to a mouse. No prize for guessing whether de Botton is the big one or the small one. 😀

By the way, Sane-1, you must always give the source and author of any passage you quote.

That is what I was wondering. Russell Brand would be even worse.

Who is Russell? I am curious as I think Alain de Botton's contribution to philosophy is up there with Fortune Cookies and Christmas crackers.
Christmas crackers? Are they what Americans would call "cookies'?

Thread closed. The OP has had plenty of time to provide the source and author, and has failed to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back