Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Metaphors can be used to describe anything of course, but 'splashed on' tends to imply something is applied on, superficial, rather than innate and deep-seated as marble veins are.
I used Tdol's 'splashed with'. I think alpacinoutd came up with words that give a good picture of the marble.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I used Tdol's 'splashed with'. I think alpacinoutd came up with words that give a good picture of the marble.

Spashed on or slashed with connotes patterns formed by a liquid, which is hardly suitable to describe the veins of marble or natural stone.
I guess there's no need to be precise.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Look again at the photograph. alpacinoutd's words are about the appearance of the marble, not about its composition/structure.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am not talking about the composition or structure of the material; I am talking about its visual effect as part of the design of the shopfront.
The beauty of marble is in its soft, subtle organic pattern of its veins, which "splashed with" does not do justice to or show appreciation for. This is about aesthetics' a matter of opinion of course, and has nothing to do with English, so don't tell me I am wrong.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In suggesting that 'splashed with' does not work in that sentence, you're wrong.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In suggesting that 'splashed with' does not work in that sentence, you're wrong.

I didn't say it does not work; I said I wouldn't use it for the reasons I have given.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't say it does not work; I said I wouldn't use it for the reasons I have given.
I would. It's a strong, accurate image.

Remember, Al is trying to learn to write expressive, colorful English. It's a great project.

Status
Not open for further replies.