Can I use citation marks before comma? Since chronic stress causes the adrenal glands

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can I use citation marks before comma?

Since chronic stress causes the adrenal glands (which produce hormones related to hair growth) to continually generate high levels of cortisol [1], they produce fewer hormones that promote hair growth, leading to hair loss [2].

Like the above sentence.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. Why do you want to do that? What do you think you are citing?

This sentence is your own language. You can't quote yourself.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I just want to say that I got some supporting information from the other academic paper.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Oh, I see what you mean. Is this work for a university? In which country? Have you been told to make citations in this way?

The 'normal' way is to use brackets enclosing the text and page number, but this sometimes depends on the conventions of the academy, who may have specific requirements.

You don't seem to have learnt how to write academic papers. I think you ought to spend some time doing so before continuing. Is this your first one? Is it to be published or is it purely for assessment?

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am a Korean university student and I am taking a leave of absence now. This is my first time writing academic papers and I am writing it because I just want to practice academic writing, not for other purposes.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay, that's helpful to know. Could you tell us a little about this particular text? Include who you imagine reading it.

Fidel Miller

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
United States
I am studying at university and writing an article. I have a similar question. Can I use APA citation style in my work?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am studying at university and writing an article. I have a similar question. Can I use APA citation style in my work?

Your course tutor knows what citation style they want. I suggest you ask him/her.

Fidel Miller

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
United States
I asked him and he told me that you can use the APA citation style, but I did not fully understand all the features of this citation style. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.
1. How to correctly cite electronic sources without an author or non-printed sources?
2. How to correctly cite journal articles and academic journals in APA citation.
On the site https://edubirdie.com/citation/apa/ I found a detailed description and a guide on how to properly use this citation style in different cases. But I am still afraid of making a mistake.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, I don't know what to say other than don't be afraid! You've got to start somewhere! Remember that making mistakes is a great way to learn.

Don't worry. You're not going to get penalised heavily for this kind of error, especially since your institution doesn't appear to be very helpful in guiding you to what kind of citation style they require. Your course tutor is far more interested in a) the content of your work, and b) whether you've cited your sources at all. If there are issues with the precise details of how you've cited these sources, I'm sure he or she will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.