Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can we install 3 kw geyser in kitchen? Please suggest.

I want to rewrite the above sentence like below:-

Could someone please suggest if we install 3 kw geyser in kitchen.

I understand that using "if" is not correct. Please advise.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is not clear what you want to ask. Do you want advice on whether you can install a 3kW geyser (heater) in the kitchen?
I don't think people can advise you without knowing what your kitchen is like and how much space you have.
A heater is normally installed in the ceiling/attic space in a house with sufficient head for water pressure.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A heater is normally installed in the ceiling/attic space in a house with sufficient head for water pressure.
All the geysers I have known have been fixed on bathroom/kitchen walls.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Can we install a 3kw geyser in the/our kitchen? Please [STRIKE]suggest[/STRIKE] advise."

I want to rewrite the above sentence [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] as below:-

"Could someone please [STRIKE]suggest[/STRIKE] advise if we can install a 3kw geyser in the/our kitchen?"

I understand that using "if" is not correct.

Please advise.

Please note my corrections above. Who told you that "if" is not correct? It's fine (with the other corrections).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All the geysers I have known have been fixed on bathroom/kitchen walls.

The only geyser I know of is Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're referred to as tankless or in-line water heaters in the US.

Whole house (i.e. tank) water heaters generally do have to go in a separate space because of their size. Sizes vary, but household models are usually in the 20-60 gallon range, depending on household needs. 40-50 gallon models are the sizes commonly stocked in hardware stores. They have to sit directly on the floor due to their size and the combined weight of that much water. In-line heaters (aka gysers) can be mounted on a wall or occasionally under/inside a cabinet if they're electric. Gas models require a wall-mount due to size and need for air-flow.

Also, at least in the US, the hot water tank is plumbed directly into your pressurized water line which runs between 30-80 psi, so no need for the gravity assist.. The tankless versions are uncommon in most of the US.

Back to the original question - are you asking if it's possible(or perhaps permitted), or advisable? If you just want to know about the feasibility or are asking permission, then the corrected version emsr suggested is the one to use.

If you're asking for recommendations or opinions about whether or not to do it, then substitute 'should' in for 'can'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about whether we can install?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is "Geyser" a brand name, and should be capitalized?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought maybe 'geyser' was perhaps one of those genericized trademarks where an original brand name has come to stand in for all similar products, such as kleenex, aspirin or jello.

However, if we can trust Wikipedia:

Another type of water heater developed in Europe predated the storage model. In London, England, in 1868, a painter named Benjamin Waddy Maughan invented the first instantaneous domestic water heater that did not use solid fuel. Named the geyser after an Icelandic gushing hot spring, Maughan's invention made cold water at the top flow through pipes that were heated by hot gases from a burner at the bottom. Hot water then flowed into a sink or tub. The invention was somewhat dangerous because there was no flue to remove heated gases from the bathroom. A water heater is still sometimes called a geyser in the UK.

I'm going really off topic now, but that same article mentions another style of point-of-demand hot water common in South America, where the electric heating element is right there in the shower head! The accompanying picture is appropriately labeled as "poorly installed".:shock:

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please note my corrections above. Who told you that "if" is not correct? It's fine (with the other corrections).

I understand "a" will be used before "3kw geyser" but I couldn't understand why it will be used. Please help me to understand this.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand that "a" [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] should/must be used before "3kw geyser" but I [STRIKE]couldn't[/STRIKE] don't/can't understand why. [STRIKE]it will be used.[/STRIKE] Please help me to understand this.

Before a singular countable noun, which "geyser" is, you need an article.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why is "couldn't" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] not correct?

Note the correct way to formulate a question.

"Couldn't" didn't work in that sentence because you were talking about a present situation. I assume that, at the time of writing your post, you were still unable to understand why the definite article was required. When you don't understand something, that's exactly what you should say - "I don't understand".

If you were unable to understand it in the past but now you do, you could use "couldn't". For example:

I couldn't understand why the article was needed but, thanks to your explanation, I now understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.