Can you answer me this question about english grammar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Hi, my name is Nico and I'm english learner. I have a big question for native speakers about grammar and the logic of the language. I've listened many times "I like doing, I like playing" and in questions: "Do you like playing soccer", for example. But just I have done it with no native speakers and besides my teacher of english of the school corrected to me that, because I had put "I don't like to watch TV" and he said me it was incorrect and was correct to say "I don't like watching TV", but I am not sure because he never has spoken english and besides his english is very bad and many time he's inventing things about english grammar that are incorrect, so I cannot believe him... And I was sure it was "Like to play" because I've listened in native speakers from England, he says: "I like to learn a language", so if you're native speaker can you tell me how is the correct form and how it sounds better? Thanks you so much... ;-)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say I like to watch TV or I like watching TV.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, my name is Nico and I'm an English learner.

I have a​n [STRIKE]big[/STRIKE] important question for native speakers about grammar and the logic of the language.

I've [STRIKE]listened[/STRIKE] heard many times "I like doing, I like playing" and, in questions, "Do you like playing soccer?", for example.

But just I have done it with no native speakers The underlined part does not make sense

and besides, my English teacher [STRIKE]of english of the[/STRIKE] at school corrected [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] me [STRIKE]that,[/STRIKE] because I had put "I don't like to watch TV".

[STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] He [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] told me it was incorrect and that it was correct to say "I don't like watching TV".

[STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] I am not sure because he [STRIKE]never has spoken[/STRIKE] is not a native English speaker and [STRIKE]besides[/STRIKE] his English is very bad.

[STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]many time he's[/STRIKE] He frequently invents[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] incorrect things about English grammar [STRIKE]that are incorrect,[/STRIKE] so I cannot believe him.

[STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] I was sure [STRIKE]it was[/STRIKE] "Like to play" is correct because I've [STRIKE]listened[/STRIKE] heard it [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] from native speakers from England, [STRIKE]he[/STRIKE] who [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] say "I like to learn a language".

[STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] If you're a native speaker, can you tell me [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] the correct form and how [STRIKE]it sounds[/STRIKE] I can make it sound better?

[STRIKE]Thanks[/STRIKE] Thank you so much. ;-)

Please note my corrections above. You need to learn to separate your writing into clear sentences.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "I don't like to watch TV". Most native speakers would say "I don't like watching TV" but that doesn't mean that your version is incorrect.

Remember to capitalise proper nouns every time you write them (eg English).

Status
Not open for further replies.